Serve as an Electro-Optical Sensor Systems Engineer in the Remote Sensing Branch, Langley Research Center, and provide expert consultation in the design of space-based active and passive remote sensing systems. Conduct equipment development in multiple science and engineering projects applying remote sensing technologies for use in ground, and space-based measurement systems for science exploration.Learn more about this agency
- Conduct electro-optical design, development and testing of active and passive remote sensor systems and subsystems in measurements for exploration applications.
- Apply theoretical and experimental expertise in electronics, physics, and optics, knowledge of electromagnetic sources, such as lasers, for lidar instrument simulation and performance modeling.
- Develop advanced lidar component technologies including Photonic Integrated Circuits that can advance lidar sensors and instruments for navigation and hazard avoidance, and atmospheric measurements.
- Design, develop and procure Photonic Integrated Circuits for Lidar electro-optical subsystems.
- Lead the design and implementation of frequency modulated continuous wave lidar instruments.
- Support the development and analysis of high-speed signal processing and data acquisition algorithms and their associated hardware for remote sensing instruments.
- Apply understanding of engineering and science objectives, and translate high-level measurement requirements into detailed requirements at the subsystem and component levels that can be realized within schedule and funding allocations.
- Collaborate with scientists, engineers, and project personnel to develop measurement concepts, design lidar-based system architectures, and to assemble and test flight instrumentation for advanced remote sensing systems.
- Work with instrument scientists/principal investigators to determine and establish system priorities and schedule changes to accommodate evolving mission objectives; and to advance the state-of-the-art in electro-optical systems and photonics.
- Assess new technologies and approaches through the development and analysis of breadboard systems for advanced lidar instruments, and perform technical trade studies focused on the electro-optical design of lidar remote sensing instruments.
- Support in-the-field/flight test campaigns of remote sensing instruments by designing test criteria, applying necessary ground support equipment, and performing system operation and real-time/post test data analysis.
- Generate/review development and design approaches for adequacy, feasibility, cost, and conformance to overall goals/best engineering practices. Present results at project reviews/conferences.
- Write/review technical goals and approaches; monitor progress during development, design, and testing.
Occasional travel - Travel may be required for training or other work-related duties
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/575577300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.