Provide expert electronics engineering, with digital signal processing specialization, to work with senior Event Horizon Telescope (EHT) instrument scientists. The incumbent will implement advanced analog-to-digital conversion technologies matched to ultra-high performance recording and computing platforms based on Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA), Graphics Processor Unit (GPU), and Central Processor Unit (CPU) technologies.Learn more about this agency
1. Contribute to the planning and implementation of an upgrade path to significantly increase the EHT’s observing sensitivity through improvements in sampled bandwidth, signal processing and recording throughput.
2. Help define the optimum architecture and technologies connecting ultra-fast (~20 gigasample-per-second) analog-to-digital converter (ADC) integrated circuit chips with correspondingly fast state-of-the-art digital signal processing (DSP) components such as FPGA’s and GPU’s.
3. Work with the development team to make key contributions to the detailed design, construction, testing and commissioning of a next general digital signal processing EHT platform, or building block, defined by the fully characterized ADC-DSP interfaced hardware.
4. Take a lead role in the development of Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) configuration codes (“gateware”), using hardware description languages such as VHDL or Verilog, and MATLAB-Simulink. This includes writing high-level layers of control software in object-oriented languages such as Python and C++. Also, develop digital signal processing codes for GPU processors in languages such as CUDA and OpenCL.
5. Use the next generation ADC-DSP platform to develop the next generation EHT Digital Back End (DBE) and phased array platforms. The phased arrays are potentially to be deployed at the Submillimeter Array (SMA) in Hawaii in the first instance, and later possibly at the Atacama Large mm/Submm Array (ALMA) in Chile.
6. Participate in preparation of results of technical developments for publication in professional journals and for presentation at engineering or scientific conferences and technical symposia. Contribute to review meetings covering technical and scientific research and development.
7. Assist with the requirements definition of the overall ngEHT from a system engineering perspective, including traceability, testability, and documentation.
8. Perform other assignments as required.
Occasional travel - May travel both domestically and internationally
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/574960200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.