This position serves within the Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS), Dairy Program (DP), National Field Office (NFO). The position is responsible for conducting plant survey inspections of dairy processing plants by evaluating plant premises, equipment, operations and products to determine compliance with official specifications/requirements and eligibility for official plant approval status. You may also perform grading and inspection of dairy food products.Learn more about this agency
- The duties described are for the full-performance level. At developmental grade levels, assignments will be of more limited scope, performed with less independence and limited complexity. The duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Conduct evaluations of facilities, processing equipment, processing and packaging methods, sanitation procedures, and quality improvement program at dairy plants from beginning to end.
- Prepare detailed, complex inspection reports that cover a large number of items in each inspection to determine plant compliance with the specifications and overall program requirements.
- Meet with plant management to explain plant evaluation findings and makes recommendations for correction of conditions that are not in compliance.
- Select samples of product for test weighing and for container and product quality examination, and prepares samples for transmittal to designated laboratory for chemical and bacteriological analysis.
- Check accuracy of scales for weighing and establishes an accurate tare weight of packaging material.
- Apply and interpret official standards, contract specifications, and instructions in the inspection or grading of butter, cheese, dry milk and other dairy or related products.
- Make borderline decisions and interpret complex quality system documentation as it relates to generic or program specific standards.
- Inspect product at time of loading in order to identify the commodity as that which was previously inspected and found to meet quality requirements of the contract or specification.
- Assure that oral and written communications are bias-free and that differences of other employees and clients are respected and valued.
76% or greater - Travel for training and work assignments is required.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/574904800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.