The incumbent of this position serves as an Accountant in the Financial Statements Section, Accounting Operations Branch, Division of Financial Management. The Financial Statements Section is responsible for the financial reports, funds control and certification of resources. The incumbent is responsible for general and subsidiary ledger reconciliation, and for the preparation of a number of complex financial reports.Learn more about this agency
As an Accountant , you will be performing the following duties:
- Monitors the daily operations of the accounting system including transaction inputs, updates, edits and corrections, and reconciles and evaluates the context, accuracy and timeliness of the agency's General Ledger and subsidiary accounts. Reconciles General Ledger accounts and makes appropriate corrections.
- Coordinates the reconciliation and maintenance of budget and accounting controls with the Budget Office to insure adherence to established funds control mechanisms such as apportionments, allotments and budget execution plans.
- Reconciles bank statements with the General Ledger Other Cash Account.
- Determines whether accounting transactions are consistent with prescribed coding and that transactions are processed in accordance with standard General Ledger definitions. Ensures audited financial statements and the various financial reports are prepared in such a manner and consistency of format as to be readily reviewable by auditors from outside the federal government.
- Determines the appropriate accounting treatment of financial transactions to keep pace with changing accounting and financial reporting requirements, and develops and proposes solutions to problems related to the accounting systems.
- Prepares a variety of complex financial reports requiring a high degree of accounting expertise and knowledge of the agency and its programs and operations.
- Coordinates with the Budget Office the preparation of both internal and external budget and financial reports to ensure they are appropriately prepared and interpreted Included are those related to funds control, and to appropriations limitations and prohibitions.
- Maintains liaison with other federal agencies with fiscal input or interest in NSF programs, notably the Office of Management and Budget, the General Services Administration, the General Accounting Office, at all levels of the Foundation to determine their requirements for accounting records, and to identify needed changes to accounting operations.
- Analyzes and interprets financial data in order to detect, explain and interpret trends. Identifies needed corrective measures and processes to improve systems accuracy and utility. Applies professional judgment to resolve problems in processing unusual transactions. Analyzes and assesses current and historical financial data for the purpose of developing special reports for use of improving the efficiency, accuracy and usefulness of available financial data.
- Develops modifications and improvements to the desk top computer software in order to improve the efficiency, accuracy, timeliness and utility of data within the Financial Reporting System. Designs improved query methodologies for the Excel software system to enable financial managers to extract financial data in a greater variety of formats and on a more timely basis.
- Accounting and Financial Management
- Data and Statistical Analysis
- Written Communication
- Oral Communication
- Representation and Team Collaboration
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/574775700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.