WHAT IS THE WAGE AND INVESTMENT DIVISION? The Wage & Investment Division (W&I) serves about 122 million taxpayers who file upwards of 94 million returns each year. W&I provides high-quality taxpayer assistance, and enable taxpayers to transact and communicate electronically to file their returns and make payments.
See "Other Information" for Locations.Learn more about this agency
WHAT DOES A TAX ANALYST DO? A Tax analyst serves as an analyst which plans, coordinates, and conducts analytical studies, and projects. In this role, you will be responsible for performing technical and analytical staff work. You will be required to oversee programs which include strategic compliance program planning, business systems planning, customer account services, taxpayer education and communications, and administrative support.
As a Tax Analyst you will:
- Develop and interpret guidance on program planning, execution, and evaluation for the Revenue Protection, compliance, accounts management and/or taxpayer education and communication functions.
- Study problems facing operating unit functions or those of particular concern within the organization assigned.
- Analyze assigned program areas to discern trends in program delivery and consolidate report data to measure the effectiveness in meeting baselines or the degree to which program plans and achievements support strategic initiatives.
- Provide technical guidance on issues, proposals, and activities impacting program operations, and ensure operating units are in alignment with regulatory and administrative provisions and requirements.
- Review proposals to alter or modify concepts, processes, or functions for compatibility with program goals and objectives, as well as evaluate new requirements, policies, and modifications for impact on program operations, systems, and resources.
- Coordinate site visits to conduct briefings, studies, implement program initiatives, review program effectiveness, and identify additional system or revision in work processes required. Prepare reports concerning identified issues, explaining program differences and recommending improvements and corrective action for program operations, where differing or competing viewpoints may occur.
- Present findings, conclusions, and recommendations as a result of program studies, projects, or reviews conducted and disseminate revised procedures and changes in program operations. Perform data analysis to identify effectiveness, necessary improvements or gaps in new initiative implementations.
- Use applications including Electronic Fraud Detection System (EFDS)/ Discoverer, and Return Revenue Protection (RRP) and/or Palantir, Business Objects Enterprise (BOE), and Microsoft Excel.
- Review TIGTA identified data for agreement, verify methodology used, and provide concurrence/disagreement with the TIGTA findings through written and oral communications.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov.
Occasional travel - 1 to 5 nights per month.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/574728800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.