The incumbent serves as a Medical Support Assistant for Outside Registration and Check in. S/he will perform clerical work in support of the care and treatment given to patients, working closely with the clinical members outside the facility at the VAMC, Buffalo, NY. Incumbent will normally work at regularly assigned station, but may be required to work at other location as necessary. The need for this position is critical to effectively support patient care during the COVID-19 pandemic crisis.Learn more about this agency
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Scheduling, appointments, including interpreting and verifying provider orders in accordance with VHA national scheduling guidelines.
- Scheduling, canceling, re-scheduling patient's appointment and/or consults.
- Monitoring both inpatient and outpatient appointments for areas of responsibility.
- Verifying and updating demographics and insurance information.
- Performing basic eligibility, co-pays and preauthorization requirements for specific coverage.
- Planning and organizing work with general assistance from the supervisor as to meet local and VA-wide time frames to complete analysis requirements, reports, and special assignments and only refers to the non-routine and high technical problems to his/her supervisor.
- Reporting backlogs, difficulties in meeting deadlines, uncooperative physicians, or difficulty in securing information from clinicians for the record.
- Maintaining the confidentiality of information obtained to carry out required duties.
- Routinely communicating with physicians, case managers, and other allied health professional staff using sound interpersonal skills, constantly aware of sensitive information.
- Working independently making decisions based on guidelines, precedents and regulations and performing duties in such a manner that only minimal supervision is required.
- Communicating and treating customers in a courteous, tactful, and respectful manner.
- Provides care and/or services appropriate to the age of the patients being served, and which is appropriate to the cognitive, emotional, and chronological maturation of the patient.
- Responsible for protecting data from unauthorized release or from loss, alteration, or unauthorized deletion.
- Responsible for following applicable regulations and instructions regarding access to computerized files, release of access codes, etc. as set out in the computer access agreement.
- Complying with all safety/fire prevention rules/regulations, using protective equipment when required and provided.
- Possessing the knowledge and skills required to effectively implement the GEMS (Green Environmental Management System).
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, Day shift. NOTE: Tour of duty may vary to include evening hours and possible weekend hours.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/571484700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.