Serves as Plant Operations Specialist under the functional title Field Engineer at one of the transmitting stations identified in the list of duty stations, which is organizationally under U.S. Agency for Global Media (USAGM), Office of Technology, Services and Innovation (TSI), Engineering & Transmission Directorate, Operations and Stations Division. It is part of the USAGM's global broadcasting network, transmitting Agency programs from the United States to listeners in specific target areas.Learn more about this agency
Under the direct guidance and supervision of a Transmitter/Facility Plant Supervisor, the incumbent is responsible for assisting with the day-to-day oversight and direction of the operation and maintenance of high-power shortwave, medium wave and/or FM transmitters (as applicable), satellite earth station uplink/downlink equipment, program and telecommunications distribution and switching systems, primary and standby (as applicable) power generating plants, station utilities, site building structures and infrastructures, and complex antennas/RF transmission systems.
- Contributes directly to the maintenance of a radio transmitting facility. Provides direction and coordinates the activities of a staff comprised of locally employed personnel, supervisors and technicians.
- Implements the station preventative maintenance program to ensure maximum plant operating efficiency. Reviews and analyzes the all operational and maintenance records to ensure a high level of performance from plant facilities.
- Oversees the operation and maintenance (both preventive and corrective) of various station utility systems. These may include power, water, sewer, drainage, cooling, lighting and telephone. When applicable, ensures that all power plant equipment is operated in accordance with demand of transmission schedules and in compliance with all applicable program and operating procedures, manufacturer's instructions and international standards.
- Oversees special projects and approved changes and modifications to plant equipment. Ensures that all plant equipment is operated in accordance with broadcast program/frequency schedules and standard operating procedures prescribed for the transmitting and facilities plant.
- Assists with the implementation of Maintenance & Repair (M&R) Projects that maintain the facilities and broadcast systems. Drafts coherent plans, schedules and procedures for implementation of the projects, and integrates deliverables into station operations with a minimum of disruption.
- When assigned, supervises and executes administrative aspects of plant operations, including development and preparation of budget estimates and financial plans, requisitions for U.S. and international procurements, preparation of budget estimates and financial plans, requisitions for U.S. and international procurements, preparation of operational and administrative reports, plans and correspondence and maintenance of accurate property management records and plant inventory.
- Is required to obtain and maintain Contracting Officer Representative (COR) Certification. May be required to obtain and maintain an Overseas Contracting Officer Warrant.
- Performs ongoing study and analysis of program plans, operational/maintenance reports, programs schedules, technical data and anticipated M&R projects to ensure that material, logistics programs and administrative procedures are in place for uninterrupted long-term operation.
- Performs as Site Safety Officer, Fire Marshall and/or Communications Officer when assigned. If assigned, the incumbent is responsible for the development, maintenance and execution of a comprehensive program, as directed by supervision.
- Advises station manager in all matters relative to plant operation and radio broadcasting technical matters. In the absence of supervision, may be appointed acting Plant Supervisor or Deputy Station Manager.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
None - SFS - Advancement to Senior Foreign Service on a merit basis is possible for employees who secure tenure and satisfy the requirements of promotion boards.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/568990200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.