WHAT IS THE WAGE AND INVESTMENT DIVISION? The Wage & Investment Division (W&I) serves about 122 million taxpayers who file upwards of 94 million returns each year. W&I provides high-quality taxpayer assistance, and enable taxpayers to transact and communicate electronically to file their returns and make payments.Learn more about this agency
See Other Information for Locations.
WHAT DOES A CONTACT REPRESENTATIVE DO? A Contact Representative, commonly referred to as a Customer Service Representative, carries out a full range of responsibilities in resolving issues and obtaining information relative to the tax administration process. The Customer Service Representative provides a full range of administrative and technical assistance to individuals and businesses. Although contacts are primarily by telephone, the employee is the point of contact when the customer desires authoritative technical and procedural information and assistance whether by phone, written or electronic mail correspondence. The work involves diverse issues that cannot be answered or resolved routinely. In this role, contacts often involve interpreting a wide range of tax processing regulatory requirements and procedures as administered by the organization for which you are assigned within the Internal Revenue Service.
As a Customer Service Representative, you will:
- Communicate with individual taxpayers, their representatives, professional stakeholders, and other government officials.
- Complete contacts, i.e., conduct telephone interviews with a wide range of individuals who have varying degrees of understanding, and provides full explanations to specific inquiries.
- Respond to a wide range of inquiries involving laws, rules and regulations, each having different conditions, reporting requirements, or other regulatory provisions; Regulations and policies subject to frequent legislative changes, amendments or precedent decisions that affect specific conditions.
- Elicit sensitive, personal and financial information.
- Make determinations and uses sound judgment concerning controversial matters in reporting the degree to which the individual understood their responsibilities.
- Develop, analyze and evaluate information involving the research of records and the nature of each inquiry.
- Explain what future actions are necessary to achieve voluntary compliance by computing and/or advising on tax liability and probable assessment of taxes.
- Use sophisticated interviewing techniques; the employee reviews individual circumstances and goals, and advises on the most advantageous ways to meet them.
If you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform all these duties, and will receive training to help you grow in this position.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/568925300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.