The Incumbent serves as International Broadcaster for the Voice of America's, Eurasia Division, Russian Service and is responsible for coverage of news and news-related events in the Eurasia region and for producing stories in English to be shared with all the language services. This person is also responsible for managing the office.Learn more about this agency
This vacancy has been amended to extend the closing date.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Provides original news reports, background reports, news analyses and secondary research materials concerning news and developments in the targeted area and their relations with the United States.
- Draws on human and media resources in the targeted area for reporting, and travels as assigned to report on developments and events of interest to the targeted audience and of relevance to the U.S. relations with the region.
- Advises the News Center and Service Chief in Washington of potential topics for coverage and obtains still photos, audio sound bites and/or video footage.
- Selects and writes highly targeted program materials, or complex and balanced original scripts for broadcast by the News Center; using a variety of sources, including original research and interviews with area experts, government information, local media and social media.
- Analyzes political, cultural and economic trends in order to provide context and depth to reporting and present cohesive and understandable content to the targeted area.
- Prepares original reportage by personal coverage of news briefings, events, on the scene interviews and other special events of relevance.
- Participates in live programming through satellite, Facebook, Skype, Teradek of other remote connection as an International Broadcaster.
- Advises designated representative about placement and affiliation opportunities with stations in the targeted area and assists the News Center in developing relations with regional stations.
- Works and manages time and resources. Exercises independent news judgment and works closely with editors.
- Recruits, develops and assigns local hires and other Foreign Nationals throughout the beat area, and edits and oversees their work.
- Manages the bureau and is responsible for the overall administration, budget and local staff or contractors.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/568909000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.