RESERVIST APPOINTMENTS: The Reservist Program is an appointment type granted under the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act, Section 306 (b), which authorizes FEMA to appoint such temporary employees as necessary to accomplish work authorized under the Act.View common definitions of terms found in this announcement.Learn more about this agency
When disaster strikes, America looks to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to support survivors and first responders in communities all across the United States of America and its territories. FEMA prepares the nation for all hazards and manages federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. We foster innovation, reward performance and creativity, and provide challenges on a routine basis with a well-skilled, knowledgeable, high performance workforce. Please visit www.fema.gov for additional information.
Now FEMA looks to you, join our team and use your talent to support Americans in their times of greatest need. We are seeking talented individuals who are eager to assist disaster survivors on an intermittent, on-call basis. FEMA Reservists are incident management responders, hired under the Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act. Reservists are a significant factor in the agency workforce in responding to disasters. These employees deploy to perform activities directly related to disasters, emergencies, projects, or activities of a non-continuous nature. Reservist positions are temporary appointments within the Excepted Service and are not to exceed 2 years in duration. Work opportunities are intermittent due to the irregular nature of disasters and Reservist employees are not guaranteed regular recurring hours, deployments, or renewal of employment. Apply for this exciting opportunity to become a FEMA Reservist!
EMERGENCY ASSIGNMENT: Every FEMA employee has regular and recurring emergency management responsibilities, though not every position requires routine deployment to disaster sites. All positions are subject to recall around the clock for emergency management operations, which may require irregular work hours, work at locations other than the official duty station, and may include duties other than those specified in the employee's official position description. Travel requirements in support of emergency operations may be extensive in nature (weeks to months), with little advance notice, and may require employees to relocate to emergency sites with physically austere and operationally challenging conditions.
As a HR Specialist (Human Resources Specialist) in FEMA's Reservist Program, you will be responsible for providing advice, assistance and guidance to customers, supervisors and managers on a variety of human resources program areas. Typical duties include:
- Participating in the entire life cycle of FEMA's Local Hire Program which hires local residents to help in the recovery process of disaster events. The entire life cycle includes determining the recruitment and hiring strategies needed to fill Local Hire positions, ensuring that classified statement of works reflects the duties of each Local Hire position to be filled, working with managers at each disaster regarding the onboarding of Local Hires, and reviewing onboarding documents for completeness and accuracy prior to submitting to OCCHCO for processing.
- Initiating, coding and submitting various Personnel Actions for Local Hires utilizing automated Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS).
- Utilizing the Development Tracking System (DTS) to execute the deployment of personnel to and from disaster events and maintain their accountability while at a disaster event.
- Providing routine advice and assistance to managers and supervisors regarding the implementation and administration of the agency disaster performance program.
- Serving as a benefits counselor and liaison for FEMA's Workers Compensation Program to ensure implementation and compliance with program rules and regulations.
76% or greater - In addition to frequent travel related to deployment(s), occasional non-emergency travel may also be required.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/568817000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.