This is a Senior Executive Service (SES) position located within FEMA’s Mission Support. The Chief Security Officer (CSO) will lead, develop, implement, and administer FEMA’s comprehensive security programs and will work across FEMA’s components and regions in implementing comprehensive security programs where not 100% of security personnel work under the security program’s direct chain of command. View common definitions of terms found in this announcement.Learn more about this agency
When disaster strikes, America looks to FEMA. Now FEMA looks to you. Join our team and use your talent to support Americans in their times of greatest need. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) prepares the nation for all hazards and manages Federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. We foster innovation, reward performance and creativity, and provide challenges on a routine basis with a well-skilled, knowledgeable, high performance workforce. Please visit www.fema.gov for additional information.
EMERGENCY ASSIGNMENT: Every FEMA employee has regular and recurring emergency management responsibilities, though not every position requires routine deployment to disaster sites. All positions are subject to recall around the clock for emergency management operations, which may require irregular work hours, work at locations other than the official duty station, and may include duties other than those specified in the employee's official position description. Travel requirements in support of emergency operations may be extensive in nature (weeks to months), with little advance notice, and may require employees to relocate to emergency sites with physically austere and operationally challenging conditions.
The CSO exercises the FEMA-wide security program authorities in the areas of personnel security, physical security, administrative security, special security, counterintelligence operations, insider threat, internal and fraud investigations, and security training and awareness.
Major duties include:
- Oversees a security network charged with safeguarding the agency’s material and information assets and computer systems, as well as the physical safety of employees and visitors.
- Manages and directs the development and execution of a FEMA-wide security program comprising the full range of security activities including the security of classified information and programs and the protection of FEMA facilities including regional, field and outlying installations/offices, investigations of security concerns, enforcement of security requirements, identification of security initiatives and establishment of/compliance with security standards for the agency.
- Manages the development and implementation of agency security policy, standards, guidelines and procedures to ensure ongoing maintenance of security. Physical protection responsibilities will include asset protection, workplace violence prevention, active shooter preparedness, access control systems, video surveillance and more. Information protection responsibilities will include network security - architecture, network access and monitoring policies, employee education and awareness.
- Leads, manages, and oversees operation of organizational, operational and program planning (current and outyear); critical skill needs assessment(s) and gap analysis, and succession planning; information coordination, management and outreach; and assurance of effective OCSO operations and customer support services on a daily basis.
- Manages and directs the integration and coordination of the various programs for personnel security, internal security, visitor control, physical security, ADP security, telecommunications security, industrial security, security education and awareness, document and information control, operational security, and coordination of activities associated with violations of Federal statutes affecting the security of restricted data, national security information, and strategic resources.
Occasional travel - This position may require occasional non-emergency travel.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/568681500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.