The incumbent serves as the Supervisory General Engineer (Assistant Chief), Engineering Service at the Durham VA Medical Center.Learn more about this agency
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- The incumbent provides assistance to the Chief, Engineering Service with authority responsibility, and accountability on all issues affecting Engineering Service.
- Collaborates with the Chief and operations and program managers to ensure integrated goals and priorities are met.
- Works closely with peers in other services to meet their needs as internal customers and the needs of external customers as well.
- Evaluates and provides recommendations to the Chief, Engineering Service on organizational changes in key positions within the service/ division.
- Responsible for maintaining complete, accurate, and up-to-date records, plans, and specifications of all systems and equipment installed during a project.
- Assists with internal personnel-related programs to ensure they are dealt with in a timely and efficient manner.
- Communicates agency and local policies and priorities to all employees within the service.
- Delegates to each section supervisor the authority and responsibility to carry out assigned tasks.
- Supports the Chief ensuring labor/management relations are maintained in accordance with medical center policy and procedures, and that other requirements such as effective use of performance standards, EEO policies, and other personnel-related rules and regulations are effectively enforced.
- Assists the Chief on facility, environmental and public safety concerns, and is inherently involved with the total medical center mission.
- Serves on standing committees in support of the Chief.
- Assists in long and short range planning, establishing policy, and advises the Chief on budgeting for the medical center, as well as for all Engineering Service programs.
- incumbent is designated as an approving official for the Government Purchase Card.
- Performs professional engineering management work in several disciplines such as civil, electrical, and mechanical engineering.
- Assists the Chief in providing and maintaining the interior design and space programs for the medical center.
- Assists in providing all construction and renovation project management, both contract and in-house.
- Incumbent assists the Chief in utility systems management functions throughout the medical center, and all maintenance, repair, and some in-house renovations for all medical center infrastructure equipment and systems.
- Assists the Chief with all medical equipment management functions throughout the medical center.
- Assists in developing and applying an internal program of management review, appraisal, and improvement; assists in establishing priorities which recognize and incorporate budget and manpower constraints.
- Assists with the planning, developing, and managing of the medical center's capital improvement program as it relates to the overall medical center short/long range goals and mission. Incumbent will input data in numerous databases including Facility Condition Assessment (FCA), VISN (Veterans Integrated Service Network) Support Service Center (VSSC), and Capital Asset Inventory (CAI).
- Assists the clinical and administrative services in developing/formulating their needs into construction projects and then fitting them into the medical center program.
- The incumbent also reviews the major utility systems, building services equipment, and building structural and cosmetic conditions to ensure compliance with applicable regulations (to include all The Joint Commission Environment of Care standards), construction and safety codes, and operating standards.
- The incumbent and staff prepare monthly and quarterly reports on projects to the Chief prior to submitting to Management, the Contracting Officer, and VA Central Office.
- Incumbent assists and advises the Chief with the selection, evaluation, initiation of promotion, and adverse and other personnel actions for the members of the service; and supervises and coordinates the activities of subordinates.
- Incumbent is responsible for the following activities for employees that he/she directly supervises: leave approval, performance standards and ratings, and planning and establishing all service line activities.
- Maintains constant surveillance of Engineering Service's compliance with standards of The Joint Commission and other accrediting and regulatory agencies, and reports deficiencies or areas of concern to the Chief.
Telework: Not Authorized
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Position Description/PD#: Supervisory General Engineer (Assistant Chief)/PD058990
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives/Expenses: May be Authorized for this position
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/568525100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.