Chief Sterile Processing and Decontamination has oversight of the Sterile Processing and Decontamination Service (SPS) for the Black Hills Health Care System (BHHCS) and reports to the Associate Director Patient Care Services (ADPCS). S/he is responsible for ensuring the SPS at BHHCS has a knowledgeable and competent workforce that focuses on the overall safety of Reusable Medical Equipment (RME) utilized throughout the medical center and Community Based Outpatient Clinics (CBOCs).Learn more about this agency
Recruitment and relocation incentive may be authorized.
Chief Sterile Processing and Decontamination is responsible to ensure that the practice of Sterile Processing and Decontamination Service (SPS) is consistent with all relevant standards and policies and operates in a financially responsible manner and the following duties:
- Provide oversight and supervisory program management for Sterile Processing and Decontamination Service with oversight of the Associate Director Patient Care Service (ADPCS)/Nurse Executive (NE).
- Demonstrates ability to collaborate with all levels of services and disciplines to promote program goals and ensure safety of all Reusable Medical Equipment (RME).
- Participates in assessing the decontamination, high-level disinfection/sterilization, pre-cleaning, and cleaning and reprocessing of RME used throughout the medical center and Community Based Outpatient Clinics (CBOCs).
- Demonstrates knowledge in the areas of patient care practices, asepsis, disinfection/sterilization, adult education, communication and program administration.
- Ensures all functions of SPS are operating effectively including but not limited to, medical equipment processing, decontamination, sterilization, biological monitoring, high-level disinfecting monitoring, care cart and supply distribution, generic inventory package maintenance and distribution.
- Develop, administer and validate initial and annual competencies for staff performing reprocessing of RMS and for all personnel involved in using the reprocessing equipment.
- Assesses educational needs of SPS staff and implements an education plan to meet those needs. Responsible for SPS training for any and all individuals charged with reprocessing duties, including the appropriate training and competency verification of all existing, new or updated standard operating procedures.
- Ensure the practice of SPS is consistent with VA Standards, such as VA Handbook 7176, VHA Directives such as 2009-04 and 2009-031, VISN 23 policies and external standards , such as Joint Commission (JC), Association of perioperative Registered Nurses (AORN), Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Plays a leadership role in the ongoing systematic evaluation and improvement of quality and effectiveness of SPS processes and practices.
- Coordinates recall activities as directed.
- Participates in Environmental Rounds, Operating Room and SPS quality improvement activities. Collects and analyzes data, report findings and makes recommendations for improvement.
- Serves as chair of Reusable Medical Equipment/SPS Committee.
- Work with leadership and prepares reports and data for submission to the VISN level.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Bargaining Unit Position: No
This position is eligible for the Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP), a student loan reimbursement program. To participate in the program, you must meet specific individual eligibility requirements in accordance with VHA Policy 1021 and submit your application within four months of appointment. The final award amount (up to $200,000) and eligibility period (one to five years) is determined by the VHA Education Loan Repayment Services office. The EDRP Coordinator, Stan Knutelski, can be reached at Stanley.Knutelski@va.gov.
50% or less - You may be expected to travel for this position up to 50%.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/568324900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.