The incumbent serves as an Team Lead Editor during the the overnight shift for the Hub/Real Time News Desk, located in the Voice of America, News Center and is responsible for reviewing and evaluating news sources and developments for timely news coverage and updates for distribution on multiple platforms; digital, TV, radio, and social media. The incumbent acts as a shift leader in the absence of the Hub/Duty Editor and fills in for coverage, assignment and TV Editors in their absence.Learn more about this agency
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Under the guidance of the Hub Duty Editor, oversees the writing, reporting, editing and posting to voanews.com and VOA social platforms of all news products and ensures they are accurate, authoritative, comprehensive and balanced; ensures that program content follows VOA Charter guidelines and is appropriate to the media needs of the target audience and the needs of program distributors.
- Communicates and articulates team assignments. Leads the Hub/Real Time News Desk reporters, writers, web editors, social media team and producers in identifying, distributing, and balancing work assignments; makes adjustments to meet deadlines.
- Acts as TV editor, Assignment Editor, Beat team leader, or coverage editor if those editors and leaders are not working. Can edit and assign reporters and correspondents as news requires in the absence of those editors. Works in close coordination with all News Center assigning editors
- Reviews and evaluates news sources and developments to identify items for news coverage and updates. Communicates with other editors, writers, correspondents, production staff, home page editors, and social media staff to ensure comprehensive news coverage and timely updates.
- Approves or does final edits on major stories to ensure copy is timely, comprehensive and accurate; determines and assigns necessary revisions; reviews top stories for accuracy and completeness
- Oversees web-formatting and production details to ensure the finished story is properly interlinked with related content; original photos; activation of reader comments; and social media lineup. Monitors traffic/reader reaction to finished piece.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/568267600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.