IT Specialist (Security) positions located in DOL, Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), Office of Technology and Survey Processing (OTSP) provide IT support to all aspects of BLS data development initiatives. BLS measures labor market activity, working conditions, price changes, and productivity in the U.S. economy to support public and private decision making.Learn more about this agency
- Positions are inside the bargaining unit.
The incumbent of this position will serve as a member of the Bureau’s Firewall Team for the Local Area Network (LAN)/Wide Area Network (WAN). The primary responsibilities of this position are to support work relating to cybersecurity operations and ensuring incorporation and implementation of appropriate IT security controls and policies in a LAN/WAN based client-server computing environment. This includes providing advice/guidance to BLS staff on a variety of complex IT security issues, firewall security appliances, virtual private network/remote access, and web content filtering. The incumbent will also support the firewall team with maintaining confidentiality, integrity, and availability of systems, networks, and data necessary to develop and implement new IT security methods by performing the following:
- Supporting the firewall team with installation, configuration, and maintenance of IT platforms. This includes utilizing firewall solutions, load balancers, and intrusion detection/prevention systems necessary to ensure compliance with and monitor operational IT security requirements and systems uptime within identified escalation time-frame parameters.
- Supporting cybersecurity technologies and operational IT security projects. Interpreting existing IT policies, standards, and guidelines for the organization and assisting with the policy development process and improvement procedures for firewall, network, cable-plans and data center teams.
- Monitoring local and remote application performance issues and resolves, or determines proper escalation procedures. Troubleshooting efforts to resolve local/remote application performance issues involving complex network and firewall protocols/logs to isolate problem-sources, and implement corrective actions.
- Identifying and performing hardware and software configuration, and ensures that all system configurations have an adequate backup schedule. Performing back-end and system log back-ups in accordance with BLS IT Security Standards.
- Identifying the need for changes based on new security technologies, threats, or "leading/cutting-edge” technological advances. Participating in development of IT security systems that anticipate, identify, evaluate, mitigate, and minimize risks associated with IT system vulnerabilities.
Occasional travel - Some work may require travel to attend meetings and conferences away from the work site.
12 - This position is at the Full Promotion Potential.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/567863100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.