The Histopathology Technologist performs a variety of routine to highly complex histological testing, including routine Histology, special stains, frozen sections, immunohistochemistry, and direct immunofluorescence. The incumbent is expected to maintain the staining systems, reagents, and antibodies in a state of readiness always. The Histopathology Technologist works closely with the Pathologist, Surgeons, Cytotechnologist, and other Histology staff members.Learn more about this agency
If you are not a current, permanent VA employee, you should apply under CBST-10809212-20-AMA
Major duties for the entry level Histopathology Technologist include (but are not limited to):
- Receiving and/or obtaining specimens using appropriate techniques, maintaining proper identification.
- Performing all elements of sectioning of all types of surgical pathology/autopsy specimens.
- Preparing specimens for analysis according to the specifications of the standard operating procedure.
- Performing complex immunohistochemical stains and procedures including, but not limited to, special pre-treatment procedures, antigen retrieval, enzymatic digestion, antibody diluting, and titers.
- Troubleshooting and correcting problems with these procedures and maintaining records and QA data as necessary.
- Understanding and incorporating new antibodies for testing by following the prescribed protocols for that antibody.
- Procuring and maintaining adequate control blocks for immunohistochemical stains.
- Preparing the blocks with both positive and negative controls under the direction of the lab director.
- Performing direct immunofluorescence staining on small biopsies, which requires careful cryostat sectioning of tissues and using appropriate fluorescent antibodies based upon the type of tissue.
- Ensuring that the goals are met by prioritizing work, as necessary, in times of short staffing, or heavy workload, and by performing simultaneous tasks.
- Exercising all required safety guidelines and working with great care in handling the specimens and using personal protective equipment including face shields, masks, gloves, and laboratory coats according to established guidelines.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/567717200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.