The Advanced Histopathology Technician has a high level of responsibility for technical oversight and is expected to carry out assigned tasks of considerable difficulty independently. The incumbent requires strong practical knowledge of the anatomic pathology laboratory practice. He or she performs difficult and specialized histological, histochemical, & immunohistochemical procedures. The technician is responsible for independently troubleshooting issues with instruments & resolving problems.Learn more about this agency
Current, permanent Federal employees should apply under CBST-10809764-20-AMA
The Advanced Histopathology Technician:
- Maintains knowledge of and complies with federal regulations associated with the Clinical Lab Improvement Act of 1988.
- Performs a broad range of laboratory procedures including all processing tasks of the histopathology technician occupation involving anatomic pathology, i.e. surgical pathology, autopsy pathology and cytopathology.
- Evaluates and solves problems related to collection and processing of biological specimens for diagnostic evaluation while considering physiologic processes and requirements.
- Evaluates and implements new techniques and procedures in the laboratory in terms of equipment and method comparison using theoretical knowledge. Interprets findings and makes recommendations.
- Incorporates principles of educational methodology in the instruction and training of new employees and students and in the laboratory's in-service/continuing education program.
- Communicates effectively and courteously while working as a healthcare team member.
- Provides excellent service as defined by the customer (healthcare providers, patients, and others).
- Gives direction and guidance using underlying histopathology and cytopathology principles.
- Identifies problems in processing and staining procedures and makes necessary adjustments as needed for diagnostic purposes.
- Assists in autopsy procedures and the maintenance of the autopsy suite, as needed.
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday from 6:00am to 2:30pm
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/567700100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.