The U.S. Department of the Treasury has a distinguished history dating back to the founding of our nation. As the steward of U.S. economic and financial systems, Treasury is a major and influential leader in today's global economy. We have over 100,000 employees across the country and around the world. Come Join the Department of the Treasury and Invest in Tomorrow.
See “Other Information” for Locations.Learn more about this agency
WHAT IS THE OFFICE OF EQUITY, DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION (EDI) DIVISION? The Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) advises IRS senior leadership on diversity and inclusion matters, and EEO policy. EDI helps coordinate cross functional efforts to ensure a diverse and inclusive IRS workforce that is free from discrimination and harassment.
WHAT DOES A SIGN LANGUAGE INTERPRETER DO? Interpret from American Sign Language (ASL) to English, and English to ASL. They interpret in formal and informal meetings with Deaf/hard-of-hearing employees, their coworkers and supervisors. They provide interpreting services in a variety of situations, including but not limited to one-on-one and group communications, EEO complaints, grievances, team and staff meetings, town hall and special events, interviews, taxpayer meetings with IRS staff, meetings with constituency groups, large conferences and training sessions. They conduct formal and informal educational programs for hearing management and staff concerning issues related to Deaf/Deaf-blind/hard-of-hearing individuals, Deaf culture and related language access issues and evaluate the program effectiveness. Provide cultural mediation to executive leadership and management when necessary. They identify environmental barriers and assist in resolving communication problems between Deaf and hard-of-hearing employees and supervisors.
As a Sign Language Interpreter you will:
- Interpret for deaf or hard-of-hearing employees in a variety of settings, including meetings, seminars, STAGE, conferences or training.
- Conduct an ongoing program on in-house sign language instruction for employees, to include developing and implementing the training and evaluating program effectiveness
- Identify and assist in resolving environmental communication barriers between supervisors and deaf/hard-of-hearing employees.
- Develop and conduct educational workshops and presentations for leaders with a focus of the best cultural practices related to hearing Deaf working spaces.
- Develop and conduct educational workshops and presentations focused on sign language instruction.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov.
Occasional travel - 01 TO 05 NIGHTS PER MONTH
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/567566200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.