This position is located in Department of Veteran Affairs (VA), Office of Information and Technology (OIT) Division where the incumbent serves as an IT Specialist specializing in providing technical oversight and engineering services in regard to network engineering related issues ultimately affecting the plans, goals and effectiveness of VA nationwide.Learn more about this agency
This position will support the Federal Government's response efforts to COVID-19.
Please read this public notice in its entirety prior to submitting your application.
Vacancies may not presently exist but may become available at any point during the opening period of this vacancy announcement. Applicant resumes will not be reviewed until there is a request to fill a vacancy. Your resume and any supporting documentation will be retained with other applicants and reviewed as vacancies occur.
You will not receive a notice regarding the status of your application other than the initial acknowledgement until a request is received to fill a position.
Once a request to fill a vacancy is received, the first 100 qualified and eligible candidates who applied will be considered for referral to the selecting official. Additional candidates will be referred based on hiring needs. Applicants will be notified about the status of their application, if referred and/or if all vacancies have been filled.
This is a temporary appointment not to exceed 1 year. This appointment may be extended up to a maximum of 1 additional year (24 months of total service).
This is a non bargaining unit position.
Work Schedule: Mon - Fri 8:00am - 4:30pm
Compressed/Flexible Schedule: May be available with supervisor's approval
Telework: May be available with supervisor's approval
Virtual: This is NOT a virtual position. Duty location will be at a VA facility.
Position Description Title/PD#: IT Specialist (Policy & Planning) GS 2210-14/02562-A
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Physical Requirements: The work may require some physical effort, such as standing, walking, bending or sitting. The work often requires long hours to meet project deadlines and to devise corrective action and solutions to unexpected technical and/or management crises resulting in sometimes highly stressful work situations. The work requires almost constant use of a video display terminal.
- Develops and maintains cybersecurity plans, strategy, and policy to support and align with organizational cybersecurity initiatives and regulatory compliance.
- Lead collaborative efforts with other organizational entities to enable an end-to-end engineering approach for optimal LAN/WAN solutions.
- Provide consultation and guidance to VA executive management on unusual, complex and/or controversial problems as the networking solutions, including changes and shifts in potential risk due to environment, internal and technological business changes.
- Develop network solution test plans and test configurations and evaluations testing outcomes.
- Perform network needs assessments to proactively assess the Department's evolving business needs and develop short-term and long-term growth plans to assure that the organization's future networking needs are met in a reliable, secure and cost-effective manner.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel up to 10% for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/566331200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.