The Information System Security Officer (ISSO) is a position in the Office of Information Technology (OIT), ITOPS, ESO. In this position, you will support either a VA facility or specified or specified program area of responsibility and reports to either the Information System Security Manager (ISSM) or District Information Security Director (DISD) as the ESO Executive Director deems appropriate.Learn more about this agency
Please read this public notice in its entirety prior to submitting your application.
Vacancies may not presently exist in each location but may become available at any point during the opening period of this vacancy announcement. Applicant resumes will not be reviewed until there is actually a request to fill a vacancy in a particular location.
You are applying to a public notice that will be used to fill current and future vacancies. Please note, there may or may not be actual/projected vacancies at the time you submit your application. Your resume and any supporting documentation will be retained with other applicants and reviewed as vacancies occur.
We will not review your resume for qualifications until we receive a request to fill a vacancy using this public notice at which time you will be notified about the status of your application. You will not receive a notice regarding the status of your application other than the initial acknowledgement until a request is received to fill a position using this public notice.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday 8:00am - 4:30pm
Virtual: This is a virtual position and you will be required to work at a VA facility
Telework: Available upon supervisory approval
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not Required
Compressed/Flexible Schedule: Available
Position Description Title/PD#: IT Specialist (INFOSEC)/ PD# 06047A/06024A
Physical Requirements: The work is primarily sedentary in nature. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
Promotion Potential: The selectee may be promoted to the full performance level without further competition when all regulatory, qualification, and performance requirements are met. Selection at a lower grade level does not guarantee promotion to the full performance level.
This position involves a multi-grade career ladder. The major duties listed below represent the full performance level of GS-12. At the GS-12 grade level, you will perform assignments of a more limited scope and with less independence. You will progressively acquire the background necessary to perform at the full performance level of GS-12. Promotion is at the discretion of the supervisor and is contingent upon satisfactory performance, availability of higher level work, and availability of funds.
- Actively participate in network and systems design to ensure implementation of viable systems security policies and procedures.
- Conduct systems security evaluations, audits and reviews; and develop Automated Information Systems (AIS) security contingency plans and disaster recovery procedures, as part of the local business continuity team.
- Monitor and track controlled access programs to ensure implementation and viability of appropriate systems security policies, as well as the acquisition of IT security tools.
- Investigate local AIS programs to identify possible breach of security and/or other violations.
- Conduct vulnerability analysis and risk assessment studies of planned and installed information systems to assure that local AIS security plans and policies established are adequate for protection needs and comply as required by statute.
- Facilitate and coordinate the gathering, analysis and preservation of evidence used in addressing security violations.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/565668300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.