The Diagnostic Radiologic Technologist (Computed Tomography) is assigned to the VA Sierra Nevada Health Care System in the Diagnostic Imaging Service at the Reno, VA. The DRT-CT performs computerized tomography of the head, neck spine, chest and body. These exams are performed with and the use of contrast materials. The purpose of these exams is to achieve diagnostic studies to bring about proper diagnosis and treatment. This is a graveyard shift position.Learn more about this agency
The incumbent is required to perform radiographic examinations in three areas: (1)general radiography, (2)Operating room radiography (3)Cat scan. Technologist will be responsible for clinical and educational duties in all three areas.Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Schedules add-on exams in a manner so as to optimize scanner times while maintaining flexibility for emergency cases.
- Confers with radiologists to determine requirement of non-standard exams.
- Determines technical factors, positioning, number and thickness of scans, etc., to produce and satisfy requirements of CT scanning.
- Advises radiologists or referring physicians of examination results. Notifies them of scans requiring their immediate attention.
- Proficiently manipulates image data, utilizes multi-slice technology, generates diagnostic CTA, and multi-planar exams for interpretation.
- Performs peripheral and visceral angiography of the abdominal systems and extremities.
- Performs most exams utilizing surgical sterile techniques. This requires "scrub-in technique," preparation of surgical trays, preparation of contrast, supplying of catheters and guide wires, sterile assurance of the patient and equipment that may come in contact with the sterile field with the purpose of assuring that all preventive measures have been taken to prevent contamination of the patient.
- Prepares contrast materials that are used in CT/angiography and other exams.
- Practices radiation safety in order to reduce exposure to patients, staff and self.
- Maintains records and files of exams performed on patients.
- Responsible for explaining exams to competent patients in terms the patient will comprehend as well as understanding potential .hazards that may occur as a result of the exam.
Work Schedule: Weekend, Graveyard Shift; 12-hr shifts; Works Holidays; On-Call position
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/563638200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.