This position is aligned under the Office of the Director, Environmental Health & Safety Section, at the William S. Middleton Memorial Hospital in Madison, WI.Learn more about this agency
The Environmental Protection Specialist plays a central role in planning and administering environmental programs. Environmental protection programs deal with the environmental impacts of human activities on air, land, water, and other media. Environmental protection programs are designed to ensure compliance with Federal, state, and local regulations governing air emissions, hazardous materials, non-hazardous and hazardous waste, oil spills, water quality, and the storage of regulated substances (e.g. petroleum products, chemicals, and wastes), among other areas, and to alleviate the adverse impacts of human activities on the environment. Environmental protection specialists support VA's Green Environmental Management System (GEMS) implementation.
Major duties include but are not limited to:
- Administering the GEMS program with responsibility for management of GEMS activities and internal reporting activities;
- Advising senior level management officials within the facility on the status of environmental programs and recommends changes in the design of facility work programs to meet new environmental requirements;
- Interacting with Federal, state, and local environmental agencies with respect to facility environmental issues;
- Scheduling and leading environmental audits to identify and evaluate program implementation and compliance activities;
- Training other employees and lower grade environmental staff, providing instruction on a variety of subjects related to specific and specialized environmental topics;
- Adapting various available media to fit special and unique training requirements and participating in the development of novel or innovative environmental training and promotion activities;
- Participating on the facility's GEMS committee;
- Performing related duties as required.
Recruitment & Relocation Incentives: Not authorized.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/563541000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.