The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) is seeking a highly qualified and motivated IT Specialist to lead the Agency’s Information System Security Program. This position is located within the Office of Information Technology Services in the Office of Administration.Learn more about this agency
As an IT Specialist (INFOSEC), you will:
- Lead the agency’s IT Security Program as the Information Systems Security Manager.
- Develop long-range plans for IT security that anticipate, identify, evaluate, mitigate, and minimize risks associated with IT systems’ vulnerabilities.
- Make decisions and/or recommendations that significantly influence important organizational IT security policies, initiatives and/or programs.
- Provide expert technical advice, guidance, and recommendations to management, system owners and other technical specialists on IT security issues and advise on strategies to protect and secure information systems and data.
- Develop policies and procedures to ensure information systems reliability and accessibility and to prevent and defend against unauthorized access to systems and data.
- Review and evaluate IT security policies and procedures, identifying where there is a need for changes, based on new security technologies or threats, providing advice and instructions to technical staff and contractors on IT security issues, and working with other IT specialists to build secure applications.
- Recommend changes and solutions to reduce IT security risks and develop strategies to respond to future IT security challenges.
- Ensure the confidentially, availability and integrity of IT systems through full compliance with the Federal Information Security Modernization Act, related NIST standards, and Department and agency IT security policies and standards.
- Continually evaluate current systems security posture, monitor activities, and assess the security awareness of staff as it relates to assigned areas of responsibility.
The ideal candidate is a senior level IT Specialist with an extensive background in the cybersecurity field and experience managing and/or administering an IT Security Program for an organization. He/she must possess an active Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) certificate. A Project Management Professional certification is also highly desirable. A comprehensive working knowledge of federal laws, Executive Orders, regulations, policies, and guidelines pertaining to IT security in the federal government is essential. The successful candidate will be responsible for a wide range of complex assignments and projects relative to information systems and cybersecurity matters. He/she will provide leadership to ensure the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of systems, applications, and data through the planning, analysis, development, implementation, maintenance, and enhancement of information systems security programs, policies, procedures, and tools.
Occasional travel - Some travel is required.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/563360000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.