This is a Research Engineer position at NASA Langley Research Center, Nondestructive Evaluation Sciences Branch. The Branch is developing advanced NDE technologies, physics-based modeling and computational methods for NDE, material state awareness technologies, intelligent measurement and sensor systems, and the related advanced data analysis. Nondestructive Evaluation has become the key to the successful implementation of new materials and structural concepts in aerospace vehicles.Learn more about this agency
- Perform research in the nondestructive evaluation (NDE) including development of novel and new inspection techniques (such as ultrasound, thermography, electromagnetic, or other NDE techniques) for aerospace materials and structures.
- Development, testing, and quantitative assessment of (NDE) methods for advanced materials and structures, such as aerospace grade composites, bonded joints.
- Perform novel NDE measurements and define appropriate measurement setup and test plan.
- Development and application of novel signal and data processing algorithms (such as phase based, frequency, machine learning, or other analysis methods) .
- Perform research to yield quantitative damage and/or defect characterization (such as delamination, disbond, or weak bond / bond strength characterization).
- Development, testing, and assessment of prototype inspection systems that include novel sensors or sensing methods and data collection for detection of defects.
- Mathematical and physics based modeling and application of models and underlying physics and/or engineering concepts for development of nondestructive methods, including: energy interaction with defects, chemical or other microscale material changes.
- Work on teams with other researchers to develop, test, assess, and report on novel NDE methods.
- Dissemination of research results through publication in scientific journals, conference proceedings, presentations, etc.
Occasional travel - Travel may be required for training or other work-related duties
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/563090200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.