Incumbent serves as Research Leader in the U.S. Dairy Forage Research Center (USDFRC), Cell Wall Biology and Utilization Research Unit (CWBURU). The mission of CWBURU is to develop innovations in ruminant nutrition, animal and rumen microbial genomics, plant molecular biology/biochemistry and microbiology to improve the nutritional value of forages and efficiency of dairy cows for enhanced production leading to more environmentally and economically sustainable dairy forage production systems.Learn more about this agency
- Developing plant or animal physiological, biochemical, biome shifts, genomic modifications and/or metabolomic innovations.
- Ensuring innovations are practically achievable and sustainable and have potential to produce economic gain for dairy producers that rely on forages as a resource.
- Using plant or animal physiological, biochemical, biome shifts, genomic modifications and/or metabolomic insights to provide strategies for altering plant, conserved forage and/or environment/conditions/microbiome in ruminant digestive tract.
- Validating strategies through collaboration with Unit, Center and other scientific expertise as necessary.
- Supervisory duties include:
- Planning, organizing, enhancing and maintaining the creativity and productivity of the Research Unit.
- Providing supervision over and professional development of scientists and support personnel assigned to the unit.
- Hiring appropriate personnel and managing the human, fiscal and physical resources assigned to the Unit.
- Serving as the Unit fund holder.
- Providing technical information and consultation to both internal and external cooperators and stakeholders, in consultation with the USDFRC Director.
- Ensuring the proper interpretation and reporting of CWBURU's scientific research results.
Occasional travel - Local, national and international travel is required for field work and to attend workshops, scientific conferences and training.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/562835500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.