The incumbent serves as a Statistician located in the National Surgery Office (NSO), Office of Deputy Under Secretary for Health for Operations and Management (DUSHOM), VHA. The incumbent provides expertise in statistical analysis, programming, and reporting in a wide variety of areas for the National Surgery Office, including the VA Surgical Quality Improvement Program which analyzes morbidity and mortality data for surgical procedures performed at all VHA facilities with surgical programs.Learn more about this agency
The duties include, but are not limited to:
- Providing statistical consultation and technical advice to subject matter experts on statistical theories and techniques.
- Performing statistical analyses of clinical data which include both parametric and nonparametric methods using SAS, SAS ODS, and R computer based statistical software.
- Preparing detailed reports for national meetings of clinicians and leadership using software such as SAS or R.
- Running standardized statistical reports to generate risk models for a predefined set of clinical outcomes such as 30-day operative mortality and perioperative morbidity.
- Performing statistical analysis for comparison of surgical subpopulations and risk-adjustment of outcomes using statistical software including SAS or R.
- Validating database records using extracts, match/merges, and discrepancy reports with VA administrative data sources and comparison of current data to historical data.
- Providing instruction to field personnel regarding high level statistics and NSO program details.
- Utilize understanding of surgical terminology to apply appropriate analyses.
- Producing data output into Excel, PDF documents and SQL tables to prepare a myriad of presentation styles for appropriate and concise electronic reports, including considerations of protection of the data and computer skills of the report recipients.
- Managing small project teams, with responsibility for overseeing prioritization of tasks and meeting deadlines.
- Designing reports to ensure appropriateness of data presented, understandability to a wide audience, and applicability to quality assurance requirements.
- Selecting methods and performing analyses using generalized linear models, mixed effects models, hierarchical regression, longitudinal analysis, survival analysis, empirical Bayes and Markov Chain Monte Carlo simulation, and bootstrap techniques.
- Collaborating with programmers in creating and modifying relational database tables (e.g. SQL Server) for new project expansion and routine reporting.
- Providing editorial oversight on analysis performed by investigators who seek to publish national surgical data findings in peer reviewed journals.
- Designing and performing statistical analysis for healthcare outcomes studies, resulting in prepared manuscripts and abstracts.
Ad Hoc Telework: May Be Available
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Position Description/PD#: Statistician/PD06262-A
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not Required
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/562717600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.