The Alaska VA Healthcare System (AVAHS) Green Environmental Management Systems (GEMS) program manager is the key member of the AVAHS Facilities Management and Facility GEMS Committee responsible for ensuring, implementing, developing and maintaining the GEMS Program remains compliant. AVAHS is a highly complex, enterprise healthcare system with multi-division, primary care elements in remote locations affiliated with multiple external organizations.Learn more about this agency
Major duties include, but, are not limit to;
- Coordinates the efforts of staff involved with the GEMS program to ensure that the program is developed and implemented in accordance with VHA and VA medical center policy and guidance.
- Ensures that GEMS findings, conclusions, and inspection results lead to continual improvement of environmental programs.
- Assists in the development of facility wide goals and policies.
- Participates in the national-level GEMS committees, as well as liaising with other inspectors/surveyors.
- Leads site inspections at a variety of sites, hazardous waste disposal sites, transport locations, or storage areas where the problems may not be easily identified or conventional in nature.
- Evaluates work practices, determines compliance with applicable laws and regulations, and develops changes to control or eliminate potential or existing hazards or violations.
- Investigates routine violations of all environmental laws and prepares abatement actions and reports.
- Facilitates the interaction of complex relationships between human health, ecosystems, environmental, medical, and natural resource programs to meet federal and state mandated guidelines.
- Gathers and examines evidence of violations; prepares warning letters, complaints, administrative orders, etc. and assembles case files for civil and criminal actions.
- Provides a technical review of every construction and renovation project, significant maintenance, and repair work planned for the facilities.
- Leads internal audits of the environmental compliance programs.
- Develops and implements custom facility and service specific environmental policies, procedures and systems.
Promotion Potential: The selectee may be promoted to the full performance level without further competition when all regulatory, qualification, and performance requirements are met. Selection at a lower grade level does not guarantee promotion to the full performance level.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:00am to 4:30pm
Telework: Not Available.
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Position Description/PD#: Environmental Protection Specialist/PD50348-0 and PD50349-0
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not require.
Occasional travel - Travel likely to Community Clinics: Juneau, Fairbanks, & Kenai
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/562407900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.