Specific position information (duties/shift/overtime/travel) please see: Updated List of Available Veterinarian Positions - March 2020Learn more about this agency
This Announcement is an open continuous announcement. When a request is received to fill a vacant Veterinary Medical Officer (VMO) in a specific geographic location, a list of the best qualified applicants interested in that location, will be sent to the hiring manager for further consideration.
- Plan, organize, coordinate and adapt the full range of meat and poultry inspection operations in slaughter and/or processing establishments;
- Ensure establishments meet requirements of the Pathogen Reduction and Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulations;
- Oversee consumer protection, non-food safety concerns such as proper labeling and packaging;
- Serve as team leader who works with and supervises other public health professionals to ensure establishments under our jurisdiction comply with sanitation standards and properly implement systems that control hazards from entering the food supply;
- Enforcing Federal meat and poultry inspection procedures prior to slaughter and throughout the entire process, including humane handling;
- Conduct ante-mortem inspection, post-mortem inspection, processing, dispositions, transportation and distribution of meat, poultry, and egg products to markets and retail stores;
- Consult with union officials, plant management and discusses with subordinates new or revised regulations, policies and procedures;
- Maintain meaningful labor-management relationships with subordinates by representing and expressing managements viewpoints to daily communications;
- Promote EEO and Safety principles/programs, trains subordinates, assign and review work, evaluate and rate performance, counsel employees on performance, resolve complaints and grievances, recommend disciplinary action as necessary.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/562101400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.