-----RECRUITMENT OR RELOCATION INVENTIVES MAY APPLY FOR HIGHLY QUALIFIED CANDIDATE-----Learn more about this agency
Iowa City VA Health Care System is recruiting for a full time Physician in Hospice and Palliative Care (HPC). This Physician works in collaboration with the HPC Medical Director to meet the requirements of the program. In addition to their role as clinician, the HPC Physician may have administrative responsibilities for leadership and direction of HPC development and programs.
In collaboration with HPC Director, common duties of the position include but are not limited to the following:
- Provide leadership to the HPC Program.
- Determine appropriateness and eligibility for veterans referred to HPC program.
- Plan and direct the educational and clinical experience of medical students, residents and fellows assigned to the HPC Program.
- Advocate for HPC with VHA leadership and the medical community.
- Jointly select HPC Team members.
- Provide clinical input and oversight for all patient treatment plans.
- Readily be available to the team members for collaboration when medical or other problems arise.
- Participate in HPC team meetings.
- Assist in arranging physician coverage and communicating the plan of coverage to the HPC team.
- Collaborate with other VISN leadership, and VA Central Office staff on program development issues.
- Assume medical responsibility for HPC patients.
- Identify the patients' medical problems.
- Define the medical management of these problems.
- Determine the need for consultation from medical, surgical, and/or psychiatric subspecialty clinics as well as community care.
- Determine the need for, and facilitating, admission to the hospital.
- Serve as collaborator for advanced practice nurses and/or physician assistants, fellows, residents and medical students.
- Provide medical administrative support such as signing forms requiring physician signature for the HPC patients.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/561771100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.