The Pathways Internship Program allows students to join VA in career positions that emphasize long-term training and development.Learn more about this agency
Assigned to the Mental Health and Behavioral Sciences Service/ Recreation & Creative Arts Therapy Section, this graduate student will be able to put to use the knowledge gained through recreation/music therapy studies by providing recreation/music therapy services to the patients admitted to the Miami VA Healthcare System.
You must be willing to relocate.
He/she will learn from recreation and/or creative arts therapists how to plan, implement, and evaluate the effectiveness of a large variety of treatment modalities which meet the assessed needs of Veterans in the Community Living Center, outpatients, and Veterans on psychiatry and residential treatment units, who are acutely and chronically ill with a wide variety of physical and mental illnesses and conditions. The incumbent must be enrolled as a recreation therapy or music therapy graduate student majoring in recreation therapy/music therapy in an accredited college or university. He/she must be available to work on regular working hours and evenings, including weekends and holidays.
Work Schedule: 20 hours per week, afternoon/evenings, holidays may be required. Saturday and/or Sunday (at least one weekend day required. Flexible schedule (Student's school/class schedule taking in to consideration).
Position Description Title/PD#: Student Trainee (Recreation & Creative Arts Therapy) PD# 546-08078-A
Promotion Potential: None
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
NOTE: Students must maintain student eligibility and enrollment for the duration of the internship as a condition of employment (See Required Documents Section of announcement).
This position is being filled under the Pathways Internship Program. The program is designed to provide students enrolled in a wide variety of educational institutions, from high school to graduate level, with paid work opportunities in agencies to explore Federal careers while still in school. The Internship provides managers a ready source of student employees and potential permanent employees upon completion of the program requirements. It also provides the student with work experience directly related to the curriculum studies or career goals while offering eligibility for non-competitive conversion to permanent employment upon completion. For more information on Internship opportunities within the Department of Veterans Affairs, please visit: https://www.va.gov/EMPLOYEE/pathways-internship-program/.
Duties may include:
- Administers, in conjunction with recreation therapist, a wide variety of recreation therapy treatment, modalities and procedures.
- Evaluates patient's response to therapeutic activity and reports to pertinent therapist.
- Assists recreation therapist on the development of a comprehensive treatment plan that includes long and short term goals and modifies treatment in response to acute changes in patient status.
- Completes preliminary review examination of patient data, compiles and organizes patient information, developing a patient profile to be used in assessing patient needs for therapy services.
- Assists the recreation therapist in the implementation of therapeutic recreation treatment plan for group or individual patients.
- Supervises and provides education to patients on the effective use of the equipment to meet their treatment plans.
- Is alert to physical signs of health problems of patients while engaged in recreational therapy activities to avoid mishaps.
- Checks conditions of machines before use and observes necessary precautions to maintain a healthy and safe environment.
- Maintains records of all services provided using CPT codes and current methodology to prepare reports.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/561637400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.