Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:00pm to 4:30pm, required to work some evenings and weekends based on the needs of the serviceLearn more about this agency
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
The Creative Arts Therapist position is located in the Recreation Therapy Department in the Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Service at the G.V. (Sonny) Montgomery VA Medical Center.
- Evaluates, establishes goals based on evaluation findings, and develops treatment interventions.
- As assigned and under supervision gathers informal art-based assessment of patients' needs, aptitudes, interests and abilities; develop and implement an individualized art therapy treatment plan to include the scope, duration and frequency of treatment.
- Implements and modifies as necessary treatment plan and goals as needed throughout course of treatment to ensure optimum outcomes.
- Participates in the development of current community resources for discharge planning purposes.
- Assisting in the development and implementation quality improvement systems as it relates internal and external regulatory requirements to include patient safety.
- Uses diagnostic coding and symptoms of diagnoses in the provision of art therapy.
- As assign is involved in the creative process and art media and their effect on the patients' cognitive, sensory, emotional, and physical states.
- Under guidance demonstrate and educate on the value of the creative process as a therapeutic tool.
- Establishes and maintains a therapeutic relationship with professional boundaries that reflects a trusting, empathetic and respectful interaction.
- As assigned collaborates and participates in interdisciplinary team and educating treatment team on theoretical framework of art therapy interventions through in-service trainings and communicating specific examples of patients' progress and behavior based on participation in art therapy programs.
- The Creative Arts Therapist is expected to perform documentation of patient care including assessments, progress notes, encounters, consultations, care plans, and other reports as needed.
- Uses Creative Art expertise for direct service delivery to patients. Acts as a subject matter expert to staff, students, and other healthcare professionals.
- Serves as a representative on interdisciplinary teams as assigned or needed.
- In consultation with patients, their families, and caregivers, Creative Art Therapist shall educate as required regarding treatment interventions and goals, in addition to any consideration involving adaptations to better ensure optimal treatment outcomes.
- Demonstrates ability and competency in treating patients that range in age from young adult to geriatric who may experience complex medical or mental health issues. e.g., Mental Health Services, the Jackson based Community Living Center; Palliative Care, and other patient care areas as needed. The incumbent will develop Recreation Therapy treatment plans to address specific needs identified in the assessment process. The format and content of all treatment plans must conform to JCAHO, Professional Standards of Practice. Treatment plans will include but not be limited to; goals, measurable behavioral objectives, therapeutic process (intervention strategies), time frames for achievement and evaluation methodologies.
- Adheres with Medical Center policies. Utilizes Automated Data Processing (ADP)system in accordance with established procedures. Adheres to Medical Center ADP Security policy.
- Participates in the evaluation of equipment and supplies, which affect their service delivery.
- Fosters and maintains a safe treatment area.
- Promotes effective communication with all patients, caregivers, treatment team members, Medical Center staff and community partners.
- The therapist schedules and conducts activities including day, evening and weekend programming to support hospital-wide and /or departmental objectives. Maintains accurate workload records and submits requests for supplies, equipment, transportation and other support essential to the provision of quality patient treatment in assigned bed sections/program. Submits funding justification to the immediate supervisor for monthly budget allocations and effectively manages and utilizes approved funds.
- Participates actively in Creative Arts and Performance Improvement programs, including development of process and outcome-based indicators, reviewing/evaluating data and assisting with indicated action plans to enhance the quality and appropriateness of patient care.
- Therapist must be able to orientate Recreation assistants, interdisciplinary team members, patients, students and volunteers regarding recreation therapy as a treatment modality and explain theoretical and practical aspects of the profession to various groups and individuals within the medical center and community.
- Maintains professional competence through participation in appropriate educational activities.
- Assists in teaching and providing learning experiences for Recreation Therapy clinical interns as required.
- Participates in staff orientation, successfully completes Medical Center assigned mandatory trainings, and in-service activities.
- Deliver treatment in compliance with Veterans Health Administration (VHA) accrediting agencies and VHA directives.
25% or less - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/560824400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.