This vacancy announcement will be open from February 14, 2020 to March 2, 2020 or when 100 applications have been received. The vacancy will close on whichever day the first of these conditions are met. If the application limit is reached on the same day the announcement opened, the open and close date will be the same. Candidates are encouraged to read the entire announcement before submitting their application packages.Learn more about this agency
As a Librarian (Technical Services), your typical work assignments may include the following:
- Life cycle management of Federal Government publications: performs a wide variety of technical services tasks associated with all aspects of life cycle management of government information within LTS. Work specifically requires the incumbent to learn workflows including processes and procedures associated with content acquisitions, bibliographic control, library technical services support, serials management and quality control.
- Content Acquisitions: identifies appropriate Federal Government information resources (monographs, serials, and other formats) to be acquired for all Programs in LSCM. Performs outreach functions, including contacting agencies and monitoring agency Web sites, in order to identify, acquire and process Federal Government information products. Determines the formats and quantities to acquire for various Programs.
- Bibliographic Control: catalogs U.S. Government publications in tangible and electronic formats. In doing so, incumbent performs original and derived (copy cataloging) to include descriptive and subject cataloging, PURL assignments, and archiving tasks.
- Library Technical Services Support: uses the ILS application (Ex Libris, Aleph 500), including the acquisitions, bibliographic control and serials modules and other services associated with ILS (OPAC-Catalog of U.S. Government Publications, http://catalog.gpo.gov). Uses the ILS to perform day-to-day work to catalog, acquire and process information products. This includes performing research and problem resolution, performing quality control of data captured in each module of the ILS. Performs classification of acquired information products using the Superintendent of Documents classification system and assigns Federal depository item numbers for Federal Depository Library acquisitions purposes. Uses knowledge of library technical service processes to make contributions to improve library technical services (LTS) operations. This includes, but not be limited to, the creation of documentation, evaluations of workflows and processes for enhancements in order to improve services for customers in the area of LTS responsibility (askGPO, WEB Tech Notes, ILS, and CGP).
- Serials Management: identifies information products that are serials and processes accordingly. This includes performing serials check-in using the ILS. Researches and locates missing serial titles including individual issues to fill gaps in the CGP. Under direction of the Administrative Librarian for Serials, works to resolve routine problems in serials control involving bibliographic records and holdings. Creates brief bibliographic records for serials.
- Customer Outreach: handles inquiries from libraries in the FDLP via Ask-GPO by researching and answering questions concerning issues related to acquisitions, cataloging, serials control and information product processing.
- Perform Team Assignments: serves on cross-organizational teams and works on projects and tasks assignments related to application/tool development, quality control and business process improvement initiatives.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/559992600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.