The Recent Graduates Program affords developmental experiences in the Federal Government intended to promote possible careers in the civil service to individuals who have recently graduated from qualifying educational institutions or programs. Current students who are scheduled to graduate within nine months may also apply to these positions. However, these students cannot be appointed until after graduation and the official degree has been awarded and conferred.Learn more about this agency
- Conducts aquatic habitat/fish inventories.
- Assists in preparation of documents related to land management planning to evaluate potential effect of road construction, logging, livestock grazing, mineral extraction, fishery management plans, environmental assessments and biological evaluations.
- Assembles biological data from records to document the results of past fishery and aquatic resource activities.
- Serves as project leader on wildlife habitat improvement projects and participates on interdisciplinary teams in a variety of aspects of natural resource management.
- Investigates potential effects of water impoundments, diversions, and other water structures and management activities on fisheries.
- Prepares well-researched and logically organized presentations related to work assignments.
- Presents facts, issues, and positions that convey the intended information with the appropriate diplomacy and emphasis.
25% or less - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- Must be at least 16 years of age and meet education requirements.
- Must be suitable for Federal employment as determined by a background investigation.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National or be lawfully permitted to the U.S. as a permanent resident or otherwise authorized to be employed.
- Per Public Law 104-134 all Federal employees are required to have federal payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
- Successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify/.
- The incumbents of Recent Graduate positions may be reassigned/relocated to any geographical location where the employee's services are needed as determined by management. Mobility agreement may be required.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service.
- This is a bargaining unit position represented by the National Federation of Employees.
- A signed participant agreement is required for employment under Pathways.
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary/trial period.
QualificationsYou are required to meet the eligibility requirements of the Recent Graduate program, as described below in order to be considered for this position. You must meet all the eligibility and qualification requirements by the closing date of the announcement. For more information on the qualifications for this position, go to: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/#url=GS-PROF The minimum qualification requirements for each grade level of this vacancy announcement are described below:
RECENT GRADUATES PROGRAM ELIGIBILITY
To be eligible, you must meet one of the following requirements:
Completed all requirements for an associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational, or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution within the previous two years; OR
If you are a current student who is in the process of completing your degree, academic documentation must accompany your application package to validate your upcoming graduation date (you must complete all degree requirements within nine months of the application closing date to be considered a Recent Graduate); OR
Due to military service obligation, you were precluded from applying to the Recent Graduate Program during any portion of the two-year eligibility period described above. This eligibility period cannot extend more than six years from the date on which the requirement for the academic degree or certificate was received.
Applicants can qualify by meeting the EDUCATION requirements specified below and/or the SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE requirements.
You must possess the qualifications requirements identified below to be considered qualified for this position. Your application or resume must clearly show that you possess the experience requirements. Transcripts must be provided for qualifications based on education. Provide course descriptions as necessary.
Basic Qualification Requirements for the GS-05 and GS-07:
Degree: Biological Science that included:
- At least 6 semester hours in aquatic subjects such as limnology, ichthyology, fishery biology, aquatic botany, aquatic fauna, oceanography, fish culture, or related courses in the field of fishery biology; and
- At least 12 semester hours in the animal sciences in such subjects as general zoology, vertebrate zoology, comparative anatomy, physiology, entomology, parasitology, ecology, cellular biology, genetics, or research in these fields. (Excess course work in aquatic subjects may be used to meet this requirement when appropriate.)
ORSpecialized Experience Requirement:
Combination of education and experience: courses equivalent to a major in biological science (i.e., at least 30 semester hours), of which a minimum of 6 semester hours were in aquatic subjects and 12 semester hours were in the animal sciences, as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
In addition to the requirements described above, the following additional education and/or experience are required for the grade(s) specified.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
For the GS-07: Applicants must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-05 grade level; OR one full year of graduate level education; OR an appropriate combination of graduate level education and specialized experience; OR Superior Academic Achievement (to determine if you are eligible, go to: http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/policy/ApplicationOfStds-04.asp). The education must have been obtained in an accredited college or university and demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work.
Examples of specialized experience are: ???????As a trainee, collecting field data on streams and lakes for preparation of survey reports; preparing reports to record activities; and, keeping current on developments in State fishery projects, State fishing regulations and harvest.
Please note that Superior Academic Achievement cannot be applied unless you have graduated and have been awarded the degree (the final GPA is required). The education must have been obtained in an accredited college or university and demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work.
Education completed in foreign colleges and universities may be used if it has been accredited or evaluated by an organization recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Note regarding certificate programs: A certificate program is defined as a post-secondary education, in a qualifying education institution, equivalent to at least one academic year of full-time study that is part of an accredited college-level, technical, trade, vocational, or business school curriculum. While recently graduating from a certificate program may afford you Recent Graduate Program eligibility, it may not be sufficient in terms of qualification standards for the series and/or the grade level.
This position has a positive education requirement, as outlined above under basic qualifications. The term positive education requirement refers to an Office of Personnel Management (OPM) determination that the duties of a scientific, technical, or professional position cannot be performed by an individual that does not have the prescribed minimum education. For additional information on the qualification standards for the 0482 series, visit the OPM Qualifications Standard found at: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/0400/fish-biology-series-0482/
This position is being concurrently announced under Merit Promotion procedures as announcement number 20-NCH-SRM-482-57-FS-LD. Current federal employees may apply to both announcements. This position may be filled at the GS-05 or GS-07 grade level with promotion potential to the GS-09.These positions are located in the following locations: BU = Bargaining Unit; NON BU = Non Bargaining Unit
Positions in the following locations are BU eligible: Kamiah, ID. For additional information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 208-963-4209.
Positions in the following locations are BU eligible: John Day, OR For additional information, please contact email@example.com or 541-575-3000 x3401.
Positions in the following locations are NON BU eligible: Saratoga or Laramie, WY. For additional information, please contact Huston Vann at firstname.lastname@example.org or 307-745-2406.
Selecting the "Location Negotiable after Selection" option when selecting your preferred duty locations, implies your willingness to accept positions in any duty location or surrounding area on the announcement that you may not have listed as a preferred location. Selecting this duty location is encouraged as it increases your chances of receiving an offer
Salary wage as shown is for Rest of the U.S. For more information, refer to the Office of Personnel Management, Salary and Wages web page.
GOVERNMENT HOUSING: May beavailable.
DAYCARE AVAILABILITY: Forest Service daycare facilities are not available.
PROMOTION POTENTIAL: If you are selected for a position with further promotion potential, you will be placed under a career development plan and may be non-competitively promoted if you successfully complete the requirements and if recommended by management. However, promotion is neither implied nor guaranteed. Recent Graduates are on a trial period for the duration of the program.
TRAINING/IDP: This position requires 40 hours of formal, interactive training per year. An Individual Development Plan (IDP) must be completed and approved by the supervisor within 45 days of appointment. A mentor must be assigned within 90 days of appointment.
PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS: Recent Graduates may be non-competitively converted to a term or permanent position in the competitive service after the successful completion of one year of continuous service. To be eligible for conversion, the Recent Graduate must meet the following:
- Complete all requirements of the Recent Graduates program.
- Receive a favorable recommendation by supervisor.
- Meet the OPM Qualification Standards for the position to which the Recent Graduate may be converted. Conversion is not guaranteed and is based on the needs of the agency.
- Meet any agency specific requirements as outlined in the Participant Agreement.
- Perform the job successfully.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Please note, this position is targeted toward graduates who have been awarded their bachelor's degrees or who have completed one full year of graduate level education.
This position has a targeted effective date of Spring-Summer 2020.
Before you submit an application for any of our vacancies, you should completely review the announcement and the requirements. You should only apply for position if you meet the required minimum qualifications AND program requirements described in the announcement. Do not apply to a duty location if you are not willing to accept or travel to that location.
If you have reviewed the announcement and believe that you meet both the minimum qualifications and the program requirements, you should document your experience and education in your resume. Since traditional resumes do not provide all the information needed to determine your status, you should create a more detailed resume to use when applying to Federal positions. Your resume should include:
- Graduation/Degree awarded date
- GPA/academic standing
- Completed course work relevant to your career goals
- Work and/or volunteer experience including employment dates, salary and supervisor information
- References (minimum of two)Please ensure that your resume contains your full name, permanent address, contact phone number and email address.
If you meet the eligibility requirements of the Recent Graduate program and the basic minimum requirements established for the position, you may be referred to the selecting official for consideration. Qualified individuals with veteran's preference are listed ahead of individuals who do not have veteran's preference.
To view the application form, visit: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10723164
The following documents must be submitted for your application package to be considered complete. It is your responsibility to ensure all required documents are received within the required timeframes. Our office cannot be responsible for incompatible software, illegible fax transmissions, delays in the mail service, system failure or downtime, etc. Failure to submit required, legible documents may result in loss of consideration.
1. Resume that includes the following information: 1) job information for which you are applying; 2) contact information; 3) education with graduation/degree awarded date (actual or anticipated); 4) work experience including the work schedule and hours worked per week as well as dates of employment; and title, series and grade, if applicable; 5) supervisors phone number and e-mail address for each work period listed and whether or not we may contact them for reference checks; 6) References (minimum of two), and 7) other qualifications.
2. Proof of Graduation - Official academic documentation that verifies completion of degree or certificate within eligibility time limits of Recent Graduate program. This documentation may include: an official letter from the school's registrar's office confirming the completion of degree or certificate and the date completed; official or unofficial transcripts identifying the date and type of degree awarded; or a copy of the actual degree or certificate issued by the school. An unofficial copy of transcripts is sufficient with the application; however, if selected, an official college transcript will be required prior to appointment. Transcripts, both unofficial and official, or any other academic documentation, MUST include your full name, school name, current GPA/academic standing, past and current (if applicable) coursework, degree program, and degree conferral date. If your school does not provide transcripts or the transcript does not provide all the information listed above, you must include additional documentation from the school that meets these requirements. Note: If you are a current student who is in the process of completing your degree or certificate, you must complete all graduation requirements within nine months of the announcement/application closing date; the anticipated graduation date must be included on your resume. You must provide academic documentation with your application package that supports the graduation date listed on your resume. The documentation must meet the requirements outlined above.
3. College Transcripts - An unofficial copy is sufficient with the application. Transcripts MUST include your full name, school name, current GPA/academic standing, past and current (if applicable) coursework, degree program, and degree conferral date. If your school does not provide transcripts or the transcript does not provide all the necessary information listed above, you must include additional academic documentation from the school that meets these requirements. Education must have been successfully completed and obtained from an accredited school, college, or university. Foreign education must be evaluated by an approved organization. For additional information, refer to the U.S. Department of Education web site at http://www.ed.gov. All transcripts must be in English or include English translation.
4. If claiming veteran's preference, you must submit a Certificate of Release or Discharge of Active Duty (DD-214), of Release from Active Duty, which shows dates of service and discharge under honorable conditions. If currently on active duty you must submit a certification of expected discharge or release from active duty service under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date the certification is submitted. If claiming 10-point preference you must also provide proof of entitlement of this preference as listed on the SF-15 Application for 10-point Veterans' Preference. The SF-15 should be included but is not required. You will receive veteran's preference based solely on the documentation provided with your application. For more information on veterans' preference see http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/
NOTE: You may update your application package for an open announcement. Log in to your USAJOBS account. Follow the USAJOBS prompts to navigate to your application package. If you have added or replaced a document(s), you must click on the Documents link at the top of the page then choose the document(s) from the Available Documents drop-down list.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
For tips on how to apply and how you will be evaluated, please see the Agency Contact Information listed below.
Please read the entire announcement and all instructions before you begin. You must complete this application process and submit all required documents electronically by 11:59p.m. Eastern Time (ET) on the closing date of this announcement.
Applying online is highly encouraged. We are available to assist you during business hours (normally 8:00a.m. - 4:00p.m., Monday - Friday). If applying online poses a hardship, contact the Agency Contact listed below well before the closing date for an alternate method. All hardship application packages must be returned to Human Resources no later than noon ET on the closing date of the announcement in order to be entered into the system prior to its closing.
To begin, in USAJOBS click "Apply" and follow the instructions to attach your resume and supporting documents, complete the assessment questionnaire, and submit your application.
Note: You must indicate by your responses to the questionnaire, all categories of eligibilities for which you would like to be considered. You will only be considered for the eligibilities that you select.
Agency contact information
HRM Contact Center
AddressUSDA Forest Service HRM Contact Center
DO NOT MAIL IN APPLICATIONS, SEE INSTRUCTIONS IN THE ANNOUNCEMENT.
Albuquerque, NM 87109
Your application will be reviewed to verify that you meet the eligibility and qualification requirements for the position prior to issuing referral lists to the selecting official. If further evaluation or interviews are required, you will be contacted. Log in to your USAJOBS account to check your application status. We expect to make a final job offer approximately 40 days after the deadline for applications.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/559901500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.