This position serves as a Senior Clinical Expanded Function Dental Assistant located in the Dental Department at the Lebanon VA Medical Center and reports to the Chief of Dental. The Senior Clinical Expanded Function Dental Assistant has an increased depth and breadth of dental practice skills, and has mastered a range of dental procedures and interventions to provide direct patient care within the scope of practice.Learn more about this agency
Examples of procedures may be diagnostic, restorative and /or surgical in nature. The senior clinical expanded function dental assistant will make independent professional decisions and recommendations to the treating dentist and interdisciplinary care teams. The senior clinical expanded function dental assistant has the expertise to participate in the professional development of colleagues through mentorship and teaching. Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Restores teeth prepared by dentist with permanent and temporary fillings: places bases, and liners; selects, adapts, and places matrices to normal and abnormal teeth; places, condenses, carves, finishes, and polishes amalgam restorations, including those involving grossly decayed teeth requiring cusp replacement, and retentive pins; places, compresses, cures, and finishes composite restorations including multi-surfaced anterior restorations; places and contours temporary restorations.
- Supports dentist in endodontic treatments by applying rubber dam, removing temporary filling using low speed hand piece, and cleansing and drying operative field. After dentist treats patient, assistant irrigates tooth, applies prescribed medications, and closes tooth with temporary filling.
- Takes preliminary impressions for study models, modifying impression tray as needed. Pours and trims models. Constructs custom impression trays and simple repairs on removable dentures.
- Retracts gingiva from tooth for final impressions by placing and removing retraction cord.
- Selects, adapts, and seats stainless steel crowns; constructs and cements temporary acrylic crowns, and bridges.
- Assists in surgical treatment by applying, and removing periodontal and post-extraction dressings, and removing sutures.
- Instructs patient in preventive dental care measures, general nutrition as related to dental health, the common causes of tooth decay, and the care of prosthodontic appliances.
- Applies desensitizing agents, tissue conditioners, and other topical agents prescribed by dentist to specified areas of the oral cavity.
- Operates dental X-ray equipment to take intra- and extra-oral radiographs.
- Provides chairside assistance, fully anticipating dentist's needs for various instruments, materials and services.
- Receives and schedules patients for treatment in dental clinic, and operating room.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/559607800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.