This position is located in the Western Region San Francisco Office. The primary purpose of the position is to work with attorneys and other investigators on consumer protection and antitrust investigations and litigation. The Western Region San Francisco Office investigates and brings lawsuits against companies for consumer protection and antitrust violations, under the aegis of, respectively, the Bureau of Consumer Protection and the Bureau of Competition.Learn more about this agency
If selected for the position, you will work with attorneys and investigators on consumer protection and antitrust investigations and litigation. At the full performance level, the incumbent of this position will perform the following duties:
- Work closely with staff attorneys and other investigators on various cases and investigations and perform other duties as assigned. Conduct and direct the full range of functions for investigations and litigations of the greatest scope and complexity concerning enforcement of consumer protection and antitrust statutes and rules under FTC jurisdiction.
- Plan, coordinate, and participate in litigation support. Assist with the filing and service of court documents. Prepare and organize evidence used as exhibits during depositions, court hearings and at trial. Testify at hearings, trials and depositions.
- Utilize databases to locate potential law enforcement targets and complaint trends. Identify, gather, and objectively review and evaluate evidence and information from various sources, including consumers, businesses, financial institutions, computer databases, Internet resources, and other pertinent sources, to support law enforcement investigations and litigations. Draft subpoenas to gather relevant evidence and information.
- Utilize and master a variety of software/hardware and databases to develop investigations and support litigation. Utilize and master a variety of software tools to capture and preserve evidence from various sources, including computers and mobile devices, for use in investigations and litigations. Train and offer assistance to attorneys and other support staff in the technical aspects of those tools, as needed.
- Process documentary and data submissions obtained in investigations and during litigations. Manage and maintain filing and logging systems for custody and retrieval of evidence, both documentary and data.
- Analyze and synthesize substantive materials, including voluminous business records, consumer complaint data, financial documents and reports, and transcripts of testimony obtained during investigational hearings, depositions, and court hearings. Code documentary evidence for factual/legal issues relevant to the matter and draft reports and memoranda summarizing such evidence.
- Interview and draft declarations summarizing consumer experiences to use in consumer protection litigation. Interview, draft notes of interviews, and, when needed, draft declarations summarizing market participant experiences to use in antitrust litigation.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/559445500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.