SummaryThis position is being filled under the Pathways Recent Graduate Program. It is designed to allow recent graduates to enter VA in career positions that emphasize long-term training and development. Successful applicants are placed in a dynamic developmental program with potential to lead to a civil service career in the Federal Government. For more information concerning this program, visit https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/hiring-information/students-recent-graduates/#url=OverviewLearn more about this agency
The Pathways Recent Graduate Program provides managers a ready source of developmental employees and
potential permanent employees upon completion of the program requirements. It also provides the recent graduate with work experience directly related to their degree and career goals while offering eligibility for non-competitive conversion to permanent employment upon completion of the Recent Graduate Program.
Pathways Program Considerations:
- Veterans Civil Service Preference applies to selection for positions in the Pathways Programs.
- Recent graduates who have completed, within the previous two years, a qualifying masters degree from a qualifying educational institution.
- Preference Eligible Veterans unable to apply, due to military service obligations, have up to six years after the completion of their degree and/or certificate to apply.
- Mentorship throughout the program, Individual Development Plan (IDP), career planning, professional development, and training activities.
- Appointments made under the Pathways Programs are under Schedule D in the excepted service
Vocational Rehabilitation Counselors (VRCs) in the Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA) provide and coordinate a wide range of rehabilitation counseling and case management services to disabled Veterans and other eligible individuals. The primary emphasis of the Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation Program is on achieving an employment outcome for the Veteran.
- Provides counseling services to severely disabled Veterans with complicated rehabilitation plans such as those calling for homebound and self-employment services.
- Provides individual and group counseling sessions to provide information and assistance with the Chapter 31 program.
- Conducts comprehensive initial evaluations to determine the existence of a vocational impairment and whether this impairment constitutes an employment handicap, the severity of the employment handicap, the feasibility for achieving a vocational goal, entitlement to Chapter 31 rehabilitation benefits, and the need for independent living services.
- Assists the Veteran in exploring and identifying rehabilitation needs, goals, and objectives.
- Provides case management services including coordination of all rehabilitation services, employment services, documentation of progress and adjustment and maintenance of case records according to VA regulations.
- Works closely with other services within VA and other public and private agencies to ensure the Veteran receives the full range of services necessary to achieve vocational rehabilitation.
- Provides comprehensive employment and post-employment services which include assessing employability and assisting in the development of an employment assistance plan. The incumbent will have knowledge of the requirements and needs of the local labor market.
Promotion Potential: The selectee may be promoted to the full performance level without further competition when all regulatory, qualification, and performance requirements are met. Selection at a lower grade level does not guarantee promotion to the full performance level. The grade progression for this position is: GS-09/11/12.
Work Schedule: Full time, Monday through Friday
Compressed/Flexible Schedule: Not Available
Telework: Available: Telework will be made available to those that are meeting performance standards.
Virtual: This is not a virtual position
Position Description Title/PD#: Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor, 38544A/38543A/38542A.
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Required
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/559421800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.