The incumbent performs the duties of a Lead Police Officer and Training Instructor in Police Services at the Alvin C. York (Murfreesboro) location. This position falls under direct supervision of the Lieutenant and Chief of Police Services.Learn more about this agency
As the Lead Police Officer, the incumbent's responsibilities and duties include, but are not limited to:
- Distribute and balance the workload among employees.Estimate and report on expected time of completion of work, and maintain records of work accomplishments and time expended and prepare production reports.
- Instruct employees in specific tasks and job techniques and make available written instructions, reference materials and supplies.
- Provide on-the-job training to new employees.
- Training Instructor - Defensive Tactics, Expandable Baton, Active Threat& Response, Ground Defense & Recovery
- Maintain training records and files.
- Develop and present training courses or subsets.
- Work as a member of the training team to ensure all mandatory training is presented and completed by all Police Service staff and other members of the TVHS workforce.
- Enforce Federal law and VA regulations.
- Protect personnel, government and private property, and civil rights of individuals.
- Conduct preliminary investigations of incidents ranging from violation of policy to a major felony, and the preservation of a peaceful environment of the facility.
- Investigate complaints, obtain and properly process evidence, seek witnesses, interview complainants, victims, witnesses, suspects, etc. Obtain witness statements and prepare cases for prosecution by Federal, State or City prosecutors.
- Use basic police security skills in patrol of hospital buildings and grounds.
- Make arrests, detain suspects who may be resisting arrest, subdue individuals when necessary, and process arrested persons through incarceration procedures.
- Respond to fire alarms in the medical center taking appropriate action to save lives, and property until help arrives, and report safety violations to appropriate officials.
- Respond to disturbances in progress, subdue individuals who may present a threat to themselves or others, using only the amount of physical force necessary and weapon employment as prescribed.
- Testify in courts of law as arresting officer or witness.
- Question suspicious persons to determine the nature of business, providing appropriate direction or control.
- Maintain a high state of physical condition, care for and wear uniform" in accordance with established procedures.
Work Schedule: Monday - Thursday, 7:00 am - 5:00 pm (Off Friday - Sunday)
Telework: Not Available
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Position Description/PD#: Lead Police Officer (Instructor)/PD70282-A
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel occassionally for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/559120200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.