Learn more about this agency
This is the position of Information Technology Specialist in the Minor Planet Center (MPC). The MPC is the internationally recognized, NASA-funded clearinghouse, processing center, and archive for minor planet and comet observations. The MPC is tasked with identifying candidate near Earth asteroids from al data reported to the MPC, as well as with supporting asteroid survey programs, for example, through services, for identifying known asteroids and predicting their positions.
- Function as part of a team to lead all aspects of the design and development of new capabilities and services to support the MPC website and database infrastructure, ensuring its reliability and scalability
- Provide schedule assessment from a technical standpoint, technical guidance to other developers, and overall integration of software and other system components.
- Interface with science staff at the highest project levels to obtain information regarding their needs as the users of the MPC data processing system and its web components. This involves applying basic understanding of the science and physical systems for which the software is being developed.
- Lead the efforts to enhance the MPC APIs and front-end services to support the MPC user community. This will involve creating new software tools that allow scientists to easily and flexibly interact with the MPC data holdings.
- Oversee the maintenance of the MPC data holdings
- Collaborate with other team members and stateholders to lead the design and development of new capabilities and the maintenance of existing functionality.
- Lead the development of original code and scripts to support education and outreach, particularly, web, app and social media based projects. This will involve creation of new materials adding to the online portfolio’s capability, as well as modification of existing materials to meet evolving requirements
- Oversee the verification and testing of all generated pages and maintain as part of an overall system. Generate documentation according to MPC guidelines.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/557877700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.