Serves as an Electronics Engineer in the Remote Sensing Branch. Conduct equipment development in multiple science and engineering projects applying remote sensing technologies for use in ground, and space-based measurement systems for science exploration. Serves as an expert consultant in the design of space-based active and passive remote sensing systems.Learn more about this agency
- As an Electro-Optical Sensor Systems Engineer, conducts the electro-optical design, development and testing of active and passive remote sensor systems and subsystems in measurements for exploration applications.
- Demonstrates theoretical and experimental expertise in the fields of electronics, physics, and optics, and extensive knowledge of electromagnetic sources, such as lasers and blackbodies.
- Leads the design and implementation of 2-micron and frequency modulated continuous wave lidar instruments.
- Designs, develops and procures electro-optical subsystems for lidars including advanced lasers and optical systems.
- Assists in the design, development and implementation of the electronics necessary for controlling electro-optical systems, as well as the electronics for reading out and processing the output of the optical detectors.
- Supports the development and analysis of high-speed signal processing and data acquisition algorithms and their associated hardware for remote sensing instruments.
- Understands both engineering and science objectives, and is adept at translating high-level measurement requirements into detailed requirements at the subsystem and component levels that can be realized within schedule and funding allocations.
- Collaborates with scientists, engineers, and project personnel to develop measurement concepts, design lidar-based system architectures, and to build flight instrumentation for advanced remote sensing systems.
- Works with instrument scientists/principal investigators to determine and establish system priorities and schedule changes to accommodate evolving mission objectives; and to advance the state-of-the-art in e-o systems and photonics.
- Assesses new technologies and approaches through the development and analysis of breadboard systems for advanced lidar instruments, and performs technical trade studies focused on the electro-optical design of lidar remote sensing instruments.
- Supports in-the-field/flight test campaigns of remote sensing instruments by designing test criteria, applying necessary ground support equipment, and performing system operation and real-time/post test data analysis.
- Generates/reviews development and design approaches for adequacy, feasibility, cost, and conformance to overall goals/best engineering practices. Presents results at project reviews/conferences.
- Writes/reviews technical goals and approaches; monitors progress during development, design, and testing.
Occasional travel - Travel may be required for training or other work-related duties
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/557774800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.