A recruitment/relocation incentive is not authorized.Learn more about this agency
Nurse IV - Associate Chief Nurse (ACN) for Geriatrics & Long Term Care (LTC) demonstrates leadership characterized by substantial, continuous responsibility and accountability for Veteran populations or integrated programs that cross services and disciplines and influence organizational mission/Veteran healthcare. The scope of practice is defined in the 4 dimensions outlined in the Nurse Qualification Standards and is specific to the grade.
- The ACN for Geriatrics & LTC executes leadership that is comprised of complex managerial and administrative components, associated with critical healthcare issues and activities that influence the organizational mission, healthcare and policy.
- The incumbent is responsible for providing leadership in the delivery and improvement of Veteran Care through collaboration with others. The role of the incumbent is directed toward assisting and advising the Associate Director for Patient Care Services in achieving a balanced operation of the LTC nursing services with maximal utilization of manpower, space and funds.
- The ACN for Geriatrics & LTC is responsible for the development, implementation, and evaluation of an organizational plan for the provision of nursing care, and treatment and services to patients. Such a plan should create a professional practice environment that fosters excellence in nursing services, evidence-based practice, staff recruitment and retention, nursing research and scholarly inquiry as well as customer satisfaction.
- He/she provides organizational leadership skills to develop and mentor a highly effective diverse workforce, to improve overall healthcare system operations to achieve performance measures and to support strategic planning initiatives.
- He/she is responsible for initiating and participating in interdisciplinary projects and committees with the aim of improving outcomes in the management of complex patient care or the systems and process of the organization/service.
- The ACN for Geriatrics & LTC demonstrates exceptional communication skills and role models transformational leadership skills.
- He/she is responsible for implementing a staffing model that meets national and local standards and is cost effective.
- The ACN for Geriatrics & LTC reports to the Associate Director for Patient Care Services and is directly responsible and accountable to the Associate Director for Patient Care Services, who is a member of the Quadrad of the Medical Center.
- The function of the ACN for Geriatrics & LTC is to direct, supervise, lead, manage and ensure the provision and delivery of quality nursing and overall patient care to a culturally diverse veteran population.
- The ACN for Geriatrics & LTC possesses the knowledge and skills necessary to effectively apply all aspects of the nursing process within a collaborative, interdisciplinary practice setting. This broad-based clinical knowledge enables the ACN to effectively provide primary assistance to the Associate Director for Patient Care Services in guiding the overall management of the practice and profession of nursing and delivery of patient care within Tomah VA Medical Center.
- The breadth and scope of the ACN roles extends into all major practice areas, i.e. clinical, administrative, research, and education.
- Incumbent must possess mastery in assessment and interpretation of data relating to patients' health status and facilitate the delivery of care population appropriate.
- Responsibilities of the position include program and policy development, change and implementation; assuring continued readiness for internal and external reviews; working collaboratively in the coordination of nursing quality measures; involvement in strategic planning for Patient Care Services, budget development and monitoring; collaboration with the Medical Center Quadrad and Service Line Directors to enhance patient care delivery and follow-up of performance goals addressing customer satisfaction, cost and efficiency.
- Additional responsibilities include maintaining and promoting effective labor and management relations, participating in negotiation agreements as appropriate, performing supervisory duties and appropriate disciplinary actions related to employees, and resolving Union issues appropriate to level of ACN for Geriatrics & LTC.
- The performance criteria for the ACN are based on the American Nurses Association (ANA) Standards of Care and Standards of Professional Performance.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/557574200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.