Inpatient care units at a VAMC can be categorized into two general types; from lowest to highest patient acuity: Medical / Surgical (M/S) and Intensive Care Unit (ICU). Medical / Surgical units may also include patients transitioning from an ICU, generally called step-down, for patients who have special needs which may require physiologic monitoring and a higher nurse to patient ratio than a standard M/S unit provides.Learn more about this agency
Note: THIS IS A RE-ANNOUNCEMENT OF VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT CBDG-10615760-19-TL. Qualified candidates who previously applied and are still interested, should re-apply to this vacancy job announcement.
Nurse Manager (Medical Surgical Step Down Unit) Duties include-
- Uses expert clinical judgment in the delivery of care resulting in a positive impact/improvement at the program and/or service level. Guides staff in the implementation of the nursing process and evaluation of patient care outcomes.
- Organizes care delivery in collaboration with the interdisciplinary team in a manner that promotes continuity and accountability for patient care.
- Is innovative and self-directed in developing and implementing complex and sophisticated programs for optimizing patient care and enhanced management of resources.
- Actively participates in the development of Service Line/Service philosophy, objectives, policies, and procedures. Is responsible for assuring that philosophy, objectives and necessary policies and procedures are implemented.
- Proactively implements procedures and monitors compliance by staff members. Initiates and implements corrective actions as indicated.
- Initiates and leads program planning and problem identification/resolution leading to an improvement of care at the program or Service level.
- Provides considerate care, respecting patient/significant other and staff personal values and belief systems.
- Supports confidentiality of all patient and staff information including electronic and print.
- Provides consultation to health care teams by analyzing ethical/care issues and applying appropriate theoretical principles.
- Fosters staff serving as a resource and advocate for the protection of patient/family rights.
- Provides an open forum for discussion of ethical issues by empowering staff to facilitate discussions of ethical issues.
- Effectively manages assigned resources and identifies creative strategies to increase efficiency within area(s) and program. Evaluates unit-based staffing needs in terms of quantity and practice level of personnel required. Prepares reports and analyzes data to assure resources are efficiently used, while providing quality care in assigned area(s). Takes a leadership role in providing input and participating in the budgetary process at the area(s) and service level.
- Evaluates the need for new equipment, plans for future equipment, and space needs on the unit. Explores and evaluates equipment options and completes preparation of required request. Manages assigned control funds.
- Collaborates with other professionals to participate in recruitment and retention of quality staff.
- Actively plans and pursues self-development of knowledge and skills in both clinical and administrative practice and theories.
- Collaborates with appropriate colleagues to develop, implement, and evaluate assigned area(s)' educational programs based on staff learning needs, changes in patient population, and changes in treatment modalities. Facilitates processes to assist the staff in meeting VA Continuing Education Standards including mandatory reviews.
- Collaborates with appropriate colleagues to develop and implement a comprehensive unit/program orientation and preceptor program. Evaluates program constructively making changes based on feedback and need to maintain currency.
- Shares expertise with the interdisciplinary team.
- Promotes and supports staff member participation in unit- and service-wide educational activities.
- Assists staff in adapting to organizational change.
Work Schedule: MONDAY -FRIDAY 7:30A-4PM WITH WEEKENDS AND OFF TOURS TO COVER THE NEEDS OF THE SERVICE
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Position Title/Functional Statement#: FS#573-FS-118-12,14,16,17, 18
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/557546500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.