Click on "Learn more about this agency" button below for IMPORTANT information.Learn more about this agency
Performs faculty duties in the Department of Operational Sciences, Air Force Institute of Technology. Instructs doctoral and master of science students and continuing education students in the broad discipline of operations research and in the application of the current state of knowledge in the discipline to the operational problems of the Air Force.
*This is a Tenure Track position.
- Courses range from introductory operations research courses, including linear programming, probability modeling, simulation, and engineering economy, to advanced electives in the area of specialization that supports the Department needs and mission.
- Directs, coordinates, and evaluates the research activity of doctoral and master of science students.
- Develops research topics suitable for thesis and dissertation research, covering a broad spectrum of Air Force related problems and, where appropriate, with the active sponsorship of Air Force or other relevant organizations.
- Directs, advises, and evaluates the research activity of doctoral and master of science students, and serves as a reader on student research committees.
- Develops research topics suitable for thesis and dissertation research, covering a broad spectrum of Air Force related problems and, where appropriate, with the active sponsorship of Air Force or other relevant organizations.
- Participates in a research program and performs research in the area of specialization with, as appropriate, the active sponsorship of Air Force or other relevant organizations.
- Communicates the results of this research to the technical community through publications in scholarly professional journals and presentation at technical meetings.
- Provides consultation services to Air Force and other appropriate organizations in the area of specialization.
- Participates in academic committees as appropriate. Performs additional duties as assigned by the Department Head
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- The selected candidate will be subject to a security investigation leading to successful completion of a background investigation with a favorable adjudication. The selectee's failure to meet this requirement will be grounds for termination.
- Essential qualities expected of every faculty member include the personal attributes of integrity, industry, cooperation, initiative, and breadth of intellectual interests.
- Doctoral degree (see Qualifications for required academic disciplines)
- As a condition of employment, male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service.
- Disclosure of Political Appointments
- Travel by military or commercial transportation to gather ideas for improving the curriculum, establish research contacts and agreements, conduct research, and present results of research may be required.
- Initial appointment is under Schedule A appointing authority, Excepted Appointment Not-to-Exceed 3 years
- At the time of the expiration of the initial appointment an employee who adequately demonstrates professional competence can be extended in increments of 1, 2 or 3 years or for an indefinite period.
- An initial appointment can be allowed to expire for an employee who does not adequately demonstrate professional competence.
- The appointment cannot be converted to a permanent tenure in the competitive service.
- Current Federal employees on a permanent or indefinite appointment will be required to have more than 3 calendar day break in service if selected.
- All federal employees are required by PL 104-134 to have federal payments made by Direct Deposit.
QualificationsREQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: Applicants must possess an earned doctoral degree in operations research specifically, or in a related discipline such as industrial engineering, management science or a mathematically rigorous engineering program.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS: Experience in university research, teaching, and professional service and a record of demonstrated administrative ability and academic leadership is strongly desired. Experience in obtaining external research funding, publishing research results, administrative experience managing multiple projects and budgets involving personnel at various levels, and sound academic and professional leadership abilities is strongly desired. The department is particularly interested in receiving applications from individuals with strong backgrounds in data science or decision analysis. Demonstrated professional knowledge of foundational and advanced topics associated with data analytics, data science or decision analysis are preferred. Possess the ability to communicate clearly and expertly (in English) in both verbal and written forms concerning academic, administrative, and technical subject matters. Qualified candidates with specialization in deterministic operations research, simulation modeling and analysis, and stochastic modeling will also be considered.
At the Assistant Professor Rank: For an initial appointment to the academic rank of Assistant Professor, applicants should have a strong potential for both teaching and research at the graduate level. Applicants should have a distinguished academic record and the background, commitment, and desire to teach graduate classes, conduct research, and publish.'
At the Associate Professor Rank: In addition to the criteria for an Assistant Professor, an initial appointment to the academic rank of Associate Professor must be based on convincing evidence that the individual has demonstrated excellence in teaching, scholarship, and service. The candidate must have 5 years of significant professional experience after having earned the doctoral degree. This will normally include no fewer than 3 years of full-time, university-level teaching at the Assistant Professor rank or higher. Alternatively, for those with fewer than 3 years of teaching experience, the requirement is 6 years of significant professional experience with research credentials normally expected of a full Professor.
At the Full Professor Rank: In addition to the criteria for an Associate Professor, an initial appointment to the academic rank of Professor must be based on convincing evidence that the faculty member has a sustained record of excellence in teaching, has produced a significant body of scholarship that is recognized nationally or internationally, and has demonstrated leadership in service to the discipline. The candidate must have a minimum of 10 years of significant professional experience after having earned the doctoral degree. This will normally include no fewer than 6 years of full-time, university-level teaching with a minimum of 3 years at the Associate Professor rank or higher. Alternatively, for those with fewer than 6 years of teaching experience, the requirement is 10 years of significant professional experience with research credentials substantially more than those normally expected of a full Professor.
Applicants will be assessed based on education, evidence of teaching effectiveness, quality of scholarship, and demonstrated service to educational institutions and the discipline commensurate with years in the discipline.
Essential qualities expected of every faculty member include the personal attributes of integrity, industry, cooperation, initiative, enthusiasm, and breadth of intellectual interests.
You MUST provide original copies of ALL OFFICIAL transcripts for degrees being pursued or obtained (or letter of degree completion if an OFFICIAL transcript is not available due to recent graduation) to support your educational claims as stated in your curriculum vitae. Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Legible photocopies of OFFICIAL transcripts are acceptable for initial application submission. However, if selected, you will be required to provide (original) copies of your OFFICIAL transcripts. For a transcript to be considered OFFICIAL, it should be printed on university letterhead and the registrar's official seal/signature must appear on the transcript. Your transcripts must also reflect the degree awarded/conferred date. Transcripts labeled UNOFFICIAL will not be accepted.
Note: Ensure you include ALL transcripts to support your educational claims as stated in your curriculum vitae (resume) even if not required for this position.
Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the educational requirements. However, you must show proof that the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in a conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying in the form of an "official" statement of U.S. equivalency from a Department of Education approved (non-federal) agency (i.e. AICE, NACES), who will complete a U.S. Standard of Education Conversion.
This job is being filled by an alternative hiring process and is not in the competitive civil service. Late applications from veterans will not be accepted for faculty positions. Late applications for veterans only apply when filling positions in the competitive service.
Individuals who are eligible for Schedule A, 213.3102(u) appointments cannot be referred under the Air Force Selective Placement Program process for faculty positions. Schedule A applicants must email a completed application package to the address specified in the "How to Apply" section and it must be received by the closing date of the announcement. Late or incomplete application packages will not be considered.
This IS a designated drug testing position.
Employed Annuitants (Reemployed Annuitants): Applicants in receipt of an annuity based on civilian employment in the Federal Service are subject to the DoD Policy on The Employment of Annuitants. Click here for more information.
Incentives: Recruitment and/or retention incentives may be offered.
Current Federal Civilian employees may apply for temporary and term positions and if selected, a break in service of at least three (3) calendar days may be required prior to appointment to the position.
Temporary and Term Appointments: If you are selected for a temporary or term position in the competitive service, your appointment may be extended to the maximum period allowed by law without further competition.
AFIT is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants with disabilities. The Air Force believes that diversity is essential to accomplishing its mission. AFIT highly values individuals who have a demonstrated ability to work successfully with and help develop individuals of diverse backgrounds and perspectives. For the Air Force, diversity encompasses: personal life experiences, geographic background, socioeconomic background, cultural knowledge, educational background, work background, language abilities, physical abilities, philosophical/spiritual perspectives, age, race, ethnicity, and gender.
Application materials become the property of AFIT and WILL NOT be returned.
Applications submitted under this announcement will be considered ONLY for this vacancy.
Travel and relocation expenses WILL NOT be paid.
If you have questions regarding this announcement and have hearing or speech difficulties click here.
Tax Law Impact for PCS: On 22-Dec-2017, Public Law 115-97 - the "Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 suspended qualified moving expense deductions along with the exclusion for employer reimbursements and payments of moving expenses effective 01-Jan-2018 for tax years 2018 through 2025. The law made taxable certain reimbursements and other payments, including driving mileage, airfare and lodging expenses, en-route travel to the new duty station, and temporary storage of those items. The Federal Travel Regulation Bulletin (FTR) 18-05 issued by General Services Administration (GSA) has authorized agencies to use the Withholding Tax Allowance (WTA) and Relocation Income Tax Allowance (RITA) to pay for "substantially all" of the increased tax liability resulting from the "2018 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act" for certain eligible individuals. For additional information on WTA/RITA allowances and eligibilities, please visit: https://www.gsa.gov/cdnstatic/FTR%20Bulletin%2018_05%20Relocation%20Allowances_0.pdf
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Applications will be screened by a faculty hiring committee using the criteria for appointment. Applicants meeting these criteria will be evaluated based on the extent to which their experience and education relate to the requirements of the position and on the promise of significant contribution to the mission and operation of the Department of Operational Sciences. A personal interview and presentation to the faculty and students may be required of the top applicants. Initial Appointments will be commensurate with academic experience.
Applicants will be assessed based on their teaching credentials, scholarship, service, and education.
Your application package (curriculum vitae, OFFICIAL transcripts, supporting documents, etc.) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. An incomplete package will result in non-consideration of your application.
AFIT is dedicated to the goal of building a pluralistic faculty committed to a multicultural environment that enriches the educational experience of our students. Hence, we are especially interested in candidates whose teaching, life experience and/or research interests contribute to a climate that values and uses diversity in all its forms. Interested persons should submit a curriculum vitae and a statement of interest that addresses the ways in which the applicant's qualifications meet the requirements of the ad to include evidence of teaching excellence, promise of research productivity, and commitment to diversity/inclusion. Additional documents are required to complete your application package, please reference the "How to Apply" and "Required Documents" section for more information.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
The following documents are required and must be received by AFIT/MSC by the closing date of the announcement.
- Letter of application (cover letter)
- Curriculum vitae (resume) - If your curriculum vitae/resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, you will not be considered for this vacancy. Your resume may be submitted in any format. For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., hour per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). Resumes that do not contain this information may be marked as insufficient and applicants may not receive consideration for this position.
- Transcripts - You MUST provide original copies of ALL OFFICIAL transcripts. A Doctoral/Master's/Bachelor's degree is required, but ALL OFFICIAL transcripts must be provided for ALL degrees being pursued or obtained (or letter of degree completion if an OFFICIAL transcript is not available due to recent graduation) to support your educational claims as stated in your curriculum vitae. Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Legible photocopies of OFFICIAL transcripts are acceptable for initial application submission. However, if selected, you will be required to provide (original) copies of your OFFICIAL transcripts. For a transcript to be considered OFFICIAL, it should be printed on university letterhead and the registrar's official seal/signature must appear on the transcript. Your transcripts must also reflect the degree awarded/conferred date. Transcripts labeled UNOFFICIAL will not be accepted.
- U.S. Equivalency from a Department of Education approved (non-federal) credentialing agency (i.e., AICE, NACES), who will complete a U.S. Standard of Education Conversion for education completed in foreign colleges or universities.
- List of three professional references (to include name, complete mailing address and phone number)
- Three letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with your professional work is highly desired.
- Veterans' preference documents, if applicable (i.e. DD-214, SF-15, Veterans Affairs letter for federal employment)
- Statement of Teaching
- Statement of Research interests
- Statement of U.S. citizenship: A statement indicating your country of citizenship (i.e. "I am a citizen of _______.") is required to be included on your cover letter or curriculum vitae.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
You must submit your application so that it will be received by the closing date of the announcement, 03/23/2020.
Applications must be emailed to the following address:
Nominations and applications for this position must be emailed as a single PDF attachment to Mr. Dan Burden, AFIT Human Resources Liaison Office at email: AFITMSC.WORKFLOW@afit.edu
Questions on the position to the above or the department should be directed to the Search Committee Chair, Dr. Jeff Weir, phone: 937-255-3636 x4523 Email: Jeffery.Weir@afit.edu
Faxed, mailed or incomplete applications WILL NOT be accepted or considered -- NO EXCEPTIONS.
Applications mailed by government employees using "official" government postage or through an internal federal government mail system WILL NOT be accepted or considered.
A complete application package will include a letter of application (cover letter), curriculum vitae, statement of citizenship, legible copies of ALL OFFICIAL transcripts. A Doctoral/Master's/Bachelor's degree is required, but ALL OFFICIAL transcripts must be provided for ALL degrees being pursued or obtained as stated in your curriculum vitae, and a list of three professional references (to include names, complete mailing addresses, and telephone numbers) are required. Three letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with your professional work is highly desired.
An incomplete package will result in non-consideration of your application.
IMPORTANT: A statement indicating your country of citizenship (i.e. "I am a citizen of _______.") is required to be included on your cover letter or curriculum vitae.
Your curriculum vitae must include detailed information in the following areas, as appropriate:
1. Teaching Accomplishments: Include teaching experience and teaching awards.
2. Professional Accomplishments: Include research, consultations, publications, and awards.
3. Service Accomplishments: Include membership, leadership roles, nature of service and contribution in collegial and/or professional organizations, societies, etc.
If you are claiming veterans' preference, please provide basic eligibility information in your cover letter. Also include in your application a copy of your DD-214 (Member Copy 4) and, if disabled, a completed SF-15 (Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference), along with a letter for federal employment from the Department of Veterans Affairs indicating your service-connected disability rating.
IF APPLICABLE: An active duty military member's statement of service/certification letter will be accepted in lieu of a DD-214. The statement/certification letter can be obtained from your servicing military personnel office and must be signed by, or by direction of, the adjutant, personnel officer, or commander of your unit or higher headquarters and must indicate your rank, dates of active duty service, and type of discharge/character of service (i.e. honorable). Your preference and/or appointment eligibility will be verified prior to appointment. Military members may be appointed before the effective date of their military separation, if member is on terminal leave, and if applicable, with the appropriate 180-day approved waiver.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED BY 03/23/2020.
Agency contact information
Total Force Service Center
AddressWright Patterson AFB
2000 Allbrook Drive
Wright Patterson AFB, OH 45433
Upon candidate selection, all applicants will be notified of their selection/non-selection status.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/557194700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.