The U.S. Department of the Treasury has a distinguished history dating back to the founding of our nation. As the steward of U.S. economic and financial systems, Treasury is a major and influential leader in today's global economy. We have over 100,000 employees across the country and around the world. Come Join the Department of the Treasury and Invest in Tomorrow.
See Other Information for LocationsLearn more about this agency
WHAT DOES A INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SPECIALIST (SA/AS) DO? An Information Technology Specialist (System Analysis/Applications Software) uses a wide variety of information, knowledge, and tools to address complex system analysis and applications software assignments each day. In this specific position, as a COBOL Applications Developer, you will be involved in conducting systems analysis to design, document, develop, modify, test, install, implement, and support new or existing applications software products within the IRS. Many of your assignments will be broad (possibly national) in scope, and/or involve difficult and complex issues. You will also be responsible for the development of components of national projects and may be called upon to lead significant projects assigned to your unit. This work will involve planning, developing, scheduling, and testing of COBOL software applications in support of IRS modernization and production systems using established standards and system lifecycles.
WHAT IS THE INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY DIVISION? The mission of IRS Information Technology is to provide leadership in the delivery of information technology solutions that anticipate and meet enterprise-wide needs by empowering employees to deliver customer-centered, value-creating systems, products, services, and support.
As an Information Technology Specialist (SA/AS) you will:
- Plan, develop, schedule, and test COBOL software applications in support of IRS modernization and production systems using established standards and system lifecycles.
- Provide technical guidance during a significant project in designing, coding, testing, debugging, and maintaining programs; translating and interpreting functional requirements.
- Translate and interpret functional requirements involved with the local phase of national project.
- Apply computer assisted software engineering (CASE) tools to the design and development process.
- Test, install, implement, document and maintain software during a significant local project or as needed to support applications which have a broad impact.
- Provide guidance to less experienced coworkers in solving programming problems.
- Maintain source code; and modifies and/or upgrades code as necessary during the local phase of a national project or as needed to support applications which have a broad impact.
- May be called upon to instruct computer languages or other position-related technical topics. May also be assigned individual or team coaching duties.
If you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform all these duties, and will receive training to help you grow in this position.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov
Occasional travel - 1-5 NIGHTS PER MONTH MAY BE REQUIRED
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/557166200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.