Recruitment/Relocation Incentives: Are NOT Authorized.Learn more about this agency
The New Mexico VA Health Care System (NMVAHCS), is seeking a full time Physician Assistant to work at the Gallup Community Based Outpatient Clinic (CBOC) in Gallup, New Mexico.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Performing new patient and follow up medical evaluations to include history, physical examination, and the ordering of appropriate EKG, X-ray, MRI, CT scans, and other necessary laboratory studies/diagnostic procedures such as EMG.
- Performing inpatient consultations, under the supervision of the Pain Medicine attending physicians, for patients requiring chronic pain evaluation while admitted to the hospital.
- Drawing blood specimens for testing and performing other comparable procedures including arterial blood gases.
- Ordering medications (including intravenous fluids, electrolytes, water soluble vitamins, narcotic and nonnarcotic analgetics) or devices to include TENS units and other necessary prosthetic devices which have been previously ordered as a part of a regimen for previously established diagnoses.
- Ordering appropriate consultation to other services such as Neurology, Neurosurgery, Physical Therapy, and Psychiatry.
- Order routine prosthetic devices as needed. Excluded would be special items such as electric beds, treadmills, electric wheelchairs, etc.
- Ordering prescriptions used in radiographic and diagnostic procedures.
- Ordering controlled substance prescriptions and/be when in possession of DEA number to include Schedules II, III, IV and V.
- Ordering over the counter prescriptions.
- Performing Post procedure/ surgical evaluations and follow up phone calls on patients having undergone interventional pain management procedures. This will include but is not limited to wound checks, suture and staple removal.
- Performing intradermal skin testing for TB, routine immunizations, and giving injections of perenteral medications.
- Initiating consultations to specialty services.
- Counseling patients and families on preventive care, medical problems, and the use of prescribed drugs, treatments and interventional pain management procedures.
- Initiating incident reports for reportable injuries.
- Preparing and recording interim and final summaries for review, approval, and signature of physician.
- The Physician Assistant will also be involved in the triage of chronic pain patients when phone calls are placed to the clinic. The Physician Assistant will notify the Pain Medicine Attending of any emergent situations.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 7:30 am - 4:00 pm
Financial Discloser Report: Not required
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/556819400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.