This position is located in the U.S. Department of Labor, Office of the Solicitor, New York Regional Solicitor's Office.
- This position is inside the bargaining unit.Learn more about this agency
- Additional selections may be made from this announcement.
The New York Regional Solicitor’s Office litigates cases pursuant to the various laws administered by the Department of Labor in New York, New Jersey, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, including the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Occupational Safety and Health Act, the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974, Executive Order 11246, and numerous whistle-blower statutes. The office also provides legal advice to Department of Labor agencies in the region. Our website is https://www.dol.gov/sol/regions/ny.htm.
The duties of this position are performed with a great deal of independence. The duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Prepares complaints, judgments and other frequently filed pleadings with responsibility for obtaining all necessary factual data, from the files or from the client agency or the public as required and observing requirements of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedures; local district court rules, as well as the rules of administrative forums.
- Obtains data from agency investigation files and materials produced in discovery in litigation, analyzes, selects and compiles information to assist attorneys, and determines the most effective style and format.
- Provides legal research for attorneys and uses knowledge and initiative in gathering facts from agencies.
- Prepares digests of rulings, briefs and court decisions for use of attorneys and program officials.
- Assists attorneys in interviewing witnesses, arranging for subpoenas and indexing depositions.
- Prepares legal and non-legal correspondence and reports.
- Maintains and services the law library.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel by airplane, train, and automobile may be required to places throughout the Region where work would be performed in office settings, court and hearing rooms, witness interview sites, and commercial, industrial, mining, and agricultural job sites.
11 - This position is at the full performance level.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/556801300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.