**This announcement has been extended and will now close 2/6/2020.Learn more about this agency
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" - by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
This specimen receiving/phlebotomy position is located in the Pathology & Laboratory Medicine Service at the Veterans Administration Medical Center in Madison, WI. The primary purpose of this position is to perform duties related to accessions and processing, phlebotomy, testing procedures, and AID security.
- Answers incoming calls and quickly finds and relays accurate information or refers the caller to technical personnel.
- Receives all requests for testing into the laboratory; verifies the accuracy and completeness of the request.
- Accepts or enters all requests into the hospital computer system using both ward order entry and laboratory computer options.
- Receives all samples for testing into the laboratory and verifies proper patient information, sample collection, and sample transport requirements for hundreds of different laboratory tests.
- Identifies unusual conditions and discrepancies that may cause erroneous test results.
- Makes sound decisions independently and takes appropriate action to correct and solve problems.
- Processes all specimens according to strict guidelines to assure specimen integrity.
- Draws blood from medical center inpatients and outpatients for requested laboratory tests using special drawing techniques such as butterfly needles, vacutainers, and syringes.
- Draws specimens for transfusion requests following protocol for patient identification.
- Adheres to patient safety, infection control and universal precautions as described in current hospital policies at all times while drawing blood.
- Is responsible for performing finger stick blood collections, collecting timed specimens, instructing patients in procedures to be followed, and assisting with employee drug screening collections.
- Stocks inventories and requests supplies as needed for use in drawing blood, accessioning, and processing areas.
- May perform basic laboratory procedures including complete blood counts, prothrombin times, and macroscopic urinalysis.
- Calibrates and performs preventative maintenance on glucose meters; identifies instrument malfunctions and takes appropriate corrective actions.
- May perform established quality control procedures to check the accuracy and validity of test results.
Telework: Not available
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Position Description/PD#: Medical Technician (Phlebotomist)/PD02075A
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/556789900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.