Recruitment/Relocation Incentives may be authorized for a highly-qualified candidate
The incumbent for this position may be eligible to apply for the Education Debt Reduction Program, depending on the type of employment, schedule, amount/type of qualifying debt, and funding availability. The employee will begin to receive the benefit upon acceptance into the program - not backdated to the date employment begins. For more information, please contact
Learn more about this agency
Currently, there are several vacancies for this position open at the VA Illiana Healthcare System in Danville, IL. This announcement may be used to fill further vacancies with other shifts as well. The shift will be discussed at the time of interviews.
This is an open continuous announcement due to frequently occurring vacancies. The initial cut-off date is 2/5/2020. All eligible applications received by 2/5/2020 will be reviewed and referred. Future cut-off dates will occur on 3/3/2020, 3/24/20, and the final close date of 4/13/2020.
All applicants may receive consideration for 3 months in Period of Eligibility from the date of application. If you wish to be considered after that period, and the announcement is still open to receive applications, you must reapply to indicate your continued interest.
This Medical Technologist position is located in the VISN 12 Pathology & Laboratory Medical Service at the VA Illiana Health Care Center in Danville, IL.
- Performs a broad range of laboratory procedures including all testing and tasks of the medical laboratory technician occupation; performs advanced and complex laboratory procedures; recognizes deviation from expected results; analyzes and corrects problems using scientific principles.
- Evaluates and solves problems related to collection and processing of biological specimens for analysis taking into account physiologic processes and requirements.
- Maintains and documents the optimal functioning of laboratory equipment; uses, calibrates, identifies malfunctions, repairs, and performs preventative maintenance of laboratory equipment. Diagnoses deviations in test performance due to instrument malfunction.
- Performs and documents quality control and assurance activities and corrective actions related to test performance using statistical principals and theories of performance improvement.
- Adheres to practices and regulations governing biosafety and biosecurity in the workplace.
- Answers inquiries regarding test results, methodology, test specificity, test sensitivity, and specific factors, which influence test results. Interprets results and suggests follow-up test selection or procedures.
- Evaluates and implements new techniques and procedures in the laboratory in terms of equipment, method comparison, and establishment of reference intervals using statistical methods and theoretical knowledge. Interprets findings and makes recommendations.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/556705900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.