The New Mexico VA Health Care System is seeking Surgical Technicians for the Operating Room! This position is located within Nursing Service at the New Mexico VA Healthcare System. The work takes place in the Operating Room (OR). The incumbent is a member of the surgical team and provides assistance to surgeons and other healthcare team members during surgical procedures and perioperative preparation of these procesures.Learn more about this agency
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Handles instruments, supplies, and equipment during all surgical procedures.
- Accounts for all surgical instruments and equipment during the surgical procedure.
- Participates with the surgical team in planning and implementing complex procedures under the general supervision of the surgical team.
- Assists in training residents, medical students, nursing students, and new OR staff in the operations of equipment, sterile technique, handling of instruments, and OR procedures to include the scrub role in surgical procedures.
- Assists the surgeon and other healthcare team members during surgical procedures.
- Plans and discusses each procedure with surgical professionals.
- Assures that all supplies and equipment are available prior to the surgical procedure.
- Assists the team members in with care of the patient (positioning, prepping, and obtaining supplies).
- Utilizes universal precautions and follows all infection control policies and procedures when handling specimens, supplies, and equipment.
- Handles all specimens appropriately.
- Prepares, organizes, and maintains highly complex sterile surgical setups.
Telework: Not available.
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Position Description/PD#: Surgical Technician/PD12658A
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not authorized.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/556650900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.