Click on "Learn more about this agency" button below for IMPORTANT additional information.Learn more about this agency
The primary purpose of this position is to perform professional and scientific
work requiring knowledge of the physical and engineering sciences and mathematics; electronic phenomena;
statistaical analysis, modeling and simulations; and/or other scientific principles, methods, and techniques in order to
close enterprise-level capability gaps.
- Applies expert cross-discipline knowledge in the planning, research, development, test, evaluation, integration, acquisition, dissemination, sustainment and/or modification of electronic systems related to electromagnetic or acoustical wave energy
- Leads development and documentation of operational concepts and strategies for assigned projects.
- Provides supervisor and senior management with expert assessments and recommendations on objectives, strategies, and/or tactics.
- Analyzes available products, mission requirements, advances in technology, compatible with current systems, cost, and life cycle of products to determine the best method to meet current and future needs.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship Required
- All new DCIPS employees are required to complete a two-year DCIPS trial period.
- Position is designated special-sensitive and requires eligibility for access to Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI), to fully perform the duties and responsibilities of the position. A nondisclosure agreement must be signed.
- PCS expenses will NOT be paid.
- Recruitment incentives may be authorized
- This posn is subject to provisions of the DoD Priority Placement Program
- Must be registered for Selective Service, see Legal and Regulatory Guide
- Drug Testing: This position has been designated by the Air Force as a Testing Designated Position (TDP) under the Air Force Civilian Testing Program. Employee must pass initial and periodic short notice drug testing.
- Employee may be required to work irregular duty hours.
- Employee may be required to undergo random CI polygraph examinations in accordance with security regulations involving material handled.
- A Bachelor of Science (BS) degree in a technical field (such as physics, engineering, mathematics, etc.) and a minimum of l0 years? experience is highly desired.
- Disclosure of Political Appointments
- The employee may be required to travel in military and/or commercial aircraft to perform temporary duty assignments.
BASIC REQUIREMENT OR INDIVIDUAL OCCUPATIONAL REQUIREMENT: Engineering GG-800 Series
Professional engineering degree. The curriculum must be in a school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineering curriculum or include differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials (stress-strain relationships); (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics. OR Combination of experience and education that is college-level education, training, and/or technical experience that furnished (1) a thorough knowledge of the physical and mathematical sciences underlying professional engineering, and (2) a good understanding, both theoretical and practical, of the engineering sciences and techniques and their applications to one of the branches of engineering. The adequacy of such background must be demonstrated by one of the following: (1) Professional registration; current registration as a professional engineer by any State, the District of Columbia, Guam, or Puerto Rico, (2) Written test; evidence of having successfully passed the Engineer-in-Training (EIT) examination, or the written test required for professional registration, which is administered by the Boards of Engineering Examiners in the various States, the District of Columbia, Guam, and Puerto Rico, (3) Specified academic courses; successful completion of at least 60 semester hours of courses in the physical, mathematical, and engineering sciences and in engineering that included courses specified in the basic requirements or (4) Related curriculum; successful completion of a curriculum leading to a bachelor's degree in engineering technology or in an appropriate professional field, e.g., physics, chemistry, architecture, computer science, mathematics, hydrology, or geology, may be accepted in lieu of a degree in engineering, provided the applicant has had at least 1 year of professional engineering experience acquired under professional engineering supervision and guidance.
In addition to meeting the basic requirement above, to qualify for this position you must also meet the qualification requirements listed below:
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Your resume must reflect the quality level of experience which demonstrates the possession of the knowledge, skills, abilities, and competencies necessary for successful job performance required for this position. Examples of creditable experience include: Knowledge of professional mechanical engineering concepts, principles, practices, standards, methods, techniques, materials, and equipment to effectively apply advanced engineering theories, principles, and concepts to project development, execution, and advisory services. Note: Creditable experience may include previous military experience, experience gained in the private sector, or experience gained in another government agency.
Click on the following link(s) to view occupational requirements for this position:
Physics Series, 1310
Individual Occupational RequirementsBasic Requirements:
Degree: physics; or related degree that included at least 24 semester hours in physics.
Combination of education and experience -- courses equivalent to a major in physics totaling at least 24 semester hours, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
In either A or B above, the courses must have included a fundamental course in general physics and, in addition, courses in any two of the following: electricity and magnetism, heat, light, mechanics, modern physics, and sound.AND
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs): Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas
- :Knowledge of advanced analytical principles, concepts, and methods in the field of physical sciences AND/OR
broad interpretive knowledge in engineering, mathematics, electronic phenomena, statistical analysis, and
modeling and simulation to produce detailed analysis of complex information/situations.
- Knowledge in program management concepts, principles and practices to include: planning, budgeting,
scheduling, systems acquisition, and contracting of scientific projects and programs.
- Knowledge in systems acquisition/lifecycle management concepts, including cost benefit analysis, system
architecture, integration techniques, and testing methods.
- Skills in critical judgment in the development and transition of new methods, approaches and procedures from
concept refinement through development and operational deployment. Ability to apply experimental theories and
groundbreaking developments to problems often not achievable via traditional methods or means; derive
solutions in areas of uncertainly in approach, methodology, or interpretation to close critical mission capability
- Ability to interpret, organize, and present information in a clear, concise manner to produce scientific reports
and briefings to senior level audiences, with proven ability to successfully negotiate and/or defend and justify
program positions and policy.
- Knowledge of security procedures to maintain control of classified material is required.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment.You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
IF USING EDUCATION TO QUALIFY: If position has a positive degree requirement or education forms the basis for qualifications, you MUST submit transcriptswith the application. Official transcripts are not required at the time of application; however, if position has a positive degree requirement, qualifying based on education alone or in combination with experience, transcripts must be verified prior to appointment. An accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education must accredit education. Click here to check accreditation.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying.
POSITIVE EDUCATION REQUIREMENT: This position has a positive education requirement. If transcripts are not provided, your resume MUST list the appropriate academic field (e.g. biology, mechanical engineering, economics, sociology, etc.) and all courses you have taken (including those failed), which appear to satisfy the qualification requirements of the position for which you are applying. List graduate and undergraduate courses separately. Include the descriptive title and course code, completion date, grade, number of semester, quarter or classroom hours (for education completed at business, secretarial, technical school or military schools) and graduate and undergraduate classes. **Effective 1 Sep 2016, current internal federal employees must attach their transcripts. Failure to do so, will result in not being referred for the position.
Employed Annuitants (Reemployed Annuitants): Applicants in receipt of an annuity based on civilian employment in the Federal Service are subject to the DoD Policy on The Employment of Annuitants. Click here for more information.
120-Day Register: This announcement may result in a 120-day register that may be used to fill like vacancies for 120 days after the closing date. Applicants may be referred for consideration as vacancies occur.
Direct Deposit: All federal employees are required to have direct deposit.
If you have questions regarding this announcement and have hearing or speech difficulties click here.
Selectees who physically reside permanently in the U.S., the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico or Northern Mariana Islands, and the Possessions of the U.S., during the entire recruitment process (application, selection, and acceptance of a formal job offer) and selected for employment in the foreign area are eligible to receive certain foreign area benefits such as: Living Quarters Allowance (LQA) or government quarters, Post Allowance, Home Leave, etc. (subject to approval)
Selectees who physically reside outside the U.S., the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico or Northern Mariana Islands, and the Possessions of the U.S., during any step of the recruitment process (application, selection, and acceptance of a formal job offer) will have foreign area benefits eligibility be determined on a case by case basis.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Your responses to the questionnaire may be compared to the documents you submit. The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "insufficient information" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
Applicants who disqualify themselves will not be evaluated further.
The following documents are required and must be provided with your application. Applicants who do not submit required documentation to determine eligibility and qualifications will be eliminated from consideration. Other documents may be required based on the eligibility/eligibilities you are claiming. Click here to view the AF Civilian Employment Eligibility Guide and the required documents you must submit to substantiate the eligibilities you are claiming.
- Online Application: Questionnaire
- Resume: For qualification determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and dates of employment (i.e., month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as insufficient and you will not receive consideration for this position. If you are a current Federal employee or previous Federal employee, provide your pay plan, series and grade, i.e. GS-0301-09. Current Federal Civilian Employees should list any relevant performance related rating (given within the last three years) and/or incentive awards in your resume. Do NOT include photographs (or links to social media such as LinkedIn), inappropriate material, inappropriate content, nor personal information such as age, gender, religion, social security number, etc., on your resume.
- Transcripts/Registration/License: If qualifying on education/position requires education, you must submit copies of your transcripts and if required for the position, submit an active, current registration/license.
- Current or Former Federal Civilian Employees (includes current Air Force employees): You must submit a legible copy of a SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action. The SF-50, block 24 must contain "1" or "2" AND block 34 must be a "1". Employees eligible under an OPM approved interchange agreement, block 34 may contain a "1" or "2".
- Promotion Consideration: If you wish to be considered as a promotion candidate and your SF-50 has an effective date within the past year, it may not clearly demonstrate you meet the one-year time-in-grade requirements. You will need to provide additional SF-50s which clearly demonstrates you meet the time-in-grade requirements (examples of appropriate SF-50s include Promotions, Within-Grade, Grade/Range Increases, and SF-50s with an effective date more than one year old).
- OCONUS - Current or Former Federal Civilian Employees (includes current Air Force employees): You must submit a legible copy of a SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action. The SF-50, block 24 must contain "1" or "2" and block 34 must be a"1". Employees eligible under an OPM approved interchange agreement, block 34 may contain a "1" or "2". NOTE: For OCONUS employees who claim eligibility MSP or Family Member Preference, your SF-50 may contain a "3" in block 24 and a "2" in block 34.
Performance Appraisals for Current Federal Civilian Employees - Most recent performance appraisals (dated within last 3 years) showing the official rating of record, signed by a supervisor, or statement why the performance appraisal is unavailable.
Awards for Current Federal Civilian employees - List any awards received within the last 3 years on the resume.
Note: Applicant must not submit award SF50s-Notification of Personnel Actions (SF50s).
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 01/28/2020
To preview the Application Questionnaire, please click the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10698208
To begin the process, click the Apply Online button to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. Follow the prompts to complete the application questionnaire. Please ensure you click the Submit My Application button at the end of the process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your Resume (your latest resume will be used to determine your qualifications). If you submit more than one copy of your resume, only the most recent (latest) version will be reviewed. The latest timestamp will be used to determine which version of your resume is "most recent."
- It is your responsibility to check the status and timestamp of all documents you submit as part of your application.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, you will not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualification determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and dates of employment (i.e., hours per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as insufficient and you will not receive consideration for this position.
3. Additional Required Documents (see Required Documents section). Ensure all submitted documents contain your full name.
4.Return Rights:Per AFI 36-1101 - DCIPS employees have no statutory right of return to the previous position, unit, or geographic location.
If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application. The Vacancy ID is 10698208
PLEASE NOTE: It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information entered and/or uploaded, (i.e., resume) is received, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. You may verify your documents have been processed with your application package successfully. You can access your USAJOBS account to do so by clicking here. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
Human Resources WILL NOT modify or change any answers submitted by an applicant.
Agency contact information
Total Force Service Center
550 C Street W
JBSA Randolph AFB, TX 78150
Once your application package is received an acknowledgement email will be sent.
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application.Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility and qualifications for consideration. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
To check the status of your application or return to a previous or incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account, select My Applications, and click on the more information link under the application status for this position.
If you do not provide an email address, you are responsible for checking status updates and notifications in USAJOBS. Hard copy notifications will not be sent to you.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/556641200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.