Click on "Learn more about this agency" button below for IMPORTANT information.
The Chief Academic Officer is an executive-level, Administratively Determined (AD), federal civil service position, with a protocol grade equivalent to a brigadier general. The incumbent reports to the Institute's Director and Chancellor and performs duties as determined and directed by the Director and Chancellor.Learn more about this agency
*This is a non-Tenure Track position.
- Advises the Director and Chancellor, Director or Staff, school deans, Director of Civilian Institution Programs and staff directors on the full range of academic and related-support programs and activities.
- Advises the Director of Civilian Institution Programs on the academic quality, relevance, affordability and other issues related to specific academic programs offered by civilian institutions at which AFIT-assigned students might be enrolled.
- Advises on academic issues and impacts related to all Institute operations, including strategic planning, operational planning, validation and prioritization of requirements, allocation of resources *cont'd
- *(manpower, funding, infrastructure, etc) and preparation and executive of programs and budgets, IAW the DoD Planning, Programming, budgeting and Execution policies and systems.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- The selected candidate will be subject to a security investigation leading to successful completion of a background investigation with a favorable adjudication. The selectee's failure to meet this requirement will be grounds for termination.
- You will be required to serve a 2-year trial period
- PCS expenses if authorized will be paid IAW JTR and Air Force Regulations
- Males must be registered for Selective Service, see www.sss.gov
- Disclosure of Political Appointments
- This is a drug testing designated position. The incumbent is subject to random drug testing for drug use.
- Appointment is under Schedule A appointing authority, Excepted Appointment Not-to-Exceed 5 years and, at this time, is non-renewable.
- The appointment cannot be converted to a permanent tenure in the competitive service.
- Current Federal employees on a permanent or indefinite appointment may be required to have more than 3 calendar day break in service if selected.
Assists the Director and chancellor and school deans in striving to achieve the highest standards of academic quality (teaching, research and service/consulting), in both advanced academic (graduate) education (AAE) and professional continuing education (PCE).
Serves as the Institute's lead for academic accreditation and reaccreditation, advising on policies and requirements for regional accreditation by the Higher Leaning Commission (HLC), degree/certificate accreditation by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and technology, Inc., (ABET), and PCE accreditation by the International Association of Continuing Education and Training, etc. Serves as the Institute's principal representative to, and liaison with, these accrediting organizations.
Represents the Institute with the Air University Board of Visitors and with its AFIT Subcommittee as directed by the Director and Chancellor.
Initiates and supports strategic engagement, collaboration and partnerships with other organizations, including other Air Force and DoD organizations; other federal agencies; civilian academic institutions; major command chief scientists and staff leads for education and training; Air Force and DoD Scientific Advisory Boards; Federally-funded Research and Development Centers, etc.
REQUIRED MANDATORY QUALIFICATIONS:
- An earned Doctorate degree in science, technology, engineering, mathematics or other field of study relevant to the mission of AFIT.
- Academic credentials that qualify the applicant for appointment at the academic rank of full professor, with tenure.
- Five years of experience in significant academic administrative leadership and management positions at an accredited college or university.
- The ability to communicate clearly and expertly (in English) both verbally and in writing is a must.
- Experience in institutional or academic program accreditation/re-accreditation.
- Experience in attracting government-sponsored grants for research projects or education programs and satisfactorily executing those projects/programs.
- Experience in building partnerships with other academic institutions, both civilian academic institutions and government academic institutions.
- Familiarity with the DoD e.g. its organization, policies, operations, etc.
- Demonstrated commitment to excellence in both teaching and research.
- Familiarity with emerging education technologies.
- A record of innovation in academic administration.
- Stature and exceptional achievement recognized by professional societies or other organizations.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and effectively with other senior academic and administrative leaders, faculty groups, individual faculty, support staff, education/research sponsors, et al.
- Experience in assessing academic programs and recommending strategies and policies to improve them.
You MUST provide original copies of ALL OFFICIAL transcripts for degrees being pursued or obtained (or letter of degree completion if an OFFICIAL transcript is not available due to recent graduation) to support your educational claims as stated in your curriculum vitae. Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Legible photocopies of OFFICIAL transcripts are acceptable for initial application submission. However, if selected, you will be required to provide (original) copies of your OFFICIAL transcripts. For a transcript to be considered OFFICIAL, it should be printed on university letterhead and the registrar's official seal/signature must appear on the transcript. Your transcripts must also reflect the degree awarded/conferred date. Transcripts labeled UNOFFICIAL will not be accepted.
Note: Ensure you include ALL transcripts to support your educational claims as stated in your curriculum vitae (resume) even if not required for this position.
Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the educational requirements. However, you must show proof that the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in a conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying in the form of an "official" statement of U.S. equivalency from a Department of Education approved (non-federal) agency (i.e. AICE, NACES), who will complete a U.S. Standard of Education Conversion.
This job is being filled by an alternative hiring process and is not in the competitive civil service. Late applications from veterans will not be accepted for faculty positions. Late applications for veterans only apply when filling positions in the competitive service.
Individuals who are eligible for Schedule A, 213.3102(u) appointments cannot be referred under the Air Force Selective Placement Program process for faculty positions. Schedule A applicants must email a completed application package to the address specified in the "How to Apply" section and it must be received by the closing date of the announcement. Late or incomplete application packages will not be considered.
As a condition of employment, male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service. For additional information click here.
This IS A designated drug testing position.
Direct Deposit: All federal employees are required by PL 104-134 to have federal payments made by Direct Deposit.
Employed Annuitants (Reemployed Annuitants): Applicants in receipt of an annuity based on civilian employment in the Federal Service are subject to the DoD Policy on The Employment of Annuitants. Click here for more information.
Temporary and Term Appointments: If you are selected for a temporary or term position in the competitive service, your appointment may be extended to the maximum period allowed by law without further competition.
AFIT is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants with disabilities. The Air Force believes that diversity is essential to accomplishing its mission. AFIT highly values individuals who have a demonstrated ability to work successfully with and help develop individuals of diverse backgrounds and perspectives. For the Air Force, diversity encompasses: personal life experiences, geographic background, socioeconomic background, cultural knowledge, educational background, work background, language abilities, physical abilities, philosophical/spiritual perspectives, age, race, ethnicity, and gender.
Application materials become the property of AFIT and WILL NOT be returned.
Applications submitted under this announcement will be considered ONLY for this vacancy.
Travel and relocation expenses WILL be paid.
If you have questions regarding this announcement and have hearing or speech difficulties click here.
Tax Law Impact for PCS: On 22-Dec-2017, Public Law 115-97 - the "Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 suspended qualified moving expense deductions along with the exclusion for employer reimbursements and payments of moving expenses effective 01-Jan-2018 for tax years 2018 through 2025. The law made taxable certain reimbursements and other payments, including driving mileage, airfare and lodging expenses, en-route travel to the new duty station, and temporary storage of those items. The Federal Travel Regulation Bulletin (FTR) 18-05 issued by General Services Administration (GSA) has authorized agencies to use the Withholding Tax Allowance (WTA) and Relocation Income Tax Allowance (RITA) to pay for "substantially all" of the increased tax liability resulting from the "2018 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act" for certain eligible individuals. For additional information on WTA/RITA allowances and eligibilities, please visit: https://www.gsa.gov/cdnstatic/FTR%20Bulletin%2018_05%20Relocation%20Allowances_0.pdf
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
RATING AND RANKING METHODS: Applicants will be evaluated against the qualifications requirements listed above. Failure to meet all of the mandatory qualifications will eliminate a candidate from further consideration. Candidates will be evaluated for this position by a screening panel composed of a diverse mix of ADs (faculty members), senior executives and/or general officers selected for organizational and/or functional backgrounds relevant to this position. The panel discusses each application and reaches consensus as to the Best Qualified, Qualified or Not Qualified candidates. Only the Best Qualified candidates will be interviewed. The panel will then make a recommendation of those Best Qualified candidates who should be referred to the selecting official, in priority order. Final selection is contingent upon the approval from the Secretary of the Air Force.
Your application package (curriculum vitae, OFFICIAL transcripts, supporting documents, etc.) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. An incomplete package will result in non-consideration of your application.
AFIT is dedicated to the goal of building a pluralistic faculty committed to a multicultural environment that enriches the educational experience of our students. Hence, we are especially interested in candidates whose teaching, life experience and/or research interests contribute to a climate that values and uses diversity in all its forms. Interested persons should submit a curriculum vitae and a statement of interest that addresses the ways in which the applicant's qualifications meet the requirements of the ad to include evidence of teaching excellence, promise of research productivity, and commitment to diversity/inclusion. Additional documents are required to complete your application package, please reference the "How to Apply" and "Required Documents" section for more information.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
The following documents are required and must be received by AFIT/MSC by the closing date of the announcement.
- Letter of application (cover letter)
- Curriculum vitae (resume)- If your curriculum vitae/resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, you will not be considered for this vacancy. Your resume may be submitted in any format. For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., hour per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). Resumes that do not contain this information may be marked as insufficient and applicants may not receive consideration for this position.
- Separate Mandatory Qualifications statement
- Separate Desired Qualifications statement
- Separate Senior Professional Qualifications statement addressing the following: 1. Contributions, 2. Leadership, 3. Professional Stature
- Transcripts - You MUST provide original copies of ALL OFFICIAL transcripts. A Doctoral/Master's/Bachelor's degree is required, but ALL OFFICIAL transcripts must be provided for ALL degrees being pursued or obtained (or letter of degree completion if an OFFICIAL transcript is not available due to recent graduation) to support your educational claims as stated in your curriculum vitae. Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Legible photocopies of OFFICIAL transcripts are acceptable for initial application submission. However, if selected, you will be required to provide (original) copies of your OFFICIAL transcripts. For a transcript to be considered OFFICIAL, it should be printed on university letterhead and the registrar's official seal/signature must appear on the transcript. Your transcripts must also reflect the degree awarded/conferred date. Transcripts labeled UNOFFICIAL will not be accepted.
- U.S. Equivalency from a Department of Education approved (non-federal) credentialing agency (i.e., AICE, NACES), who will complete a U.S. Standard of Education Conversion for education completed in foreign colleges or universities.
- List of three professional references (to include name, complete mailing address and phone number)
- Three letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with your professional work is highly desired.
- Veterans' preference documents, if applicable (i.e. DD-214, SF-15, Veterans Affairs letter for federal employment)
- Statement of U.S. citizenship: A statement indicating your country of citizenship (i.e. "I am a citizen of _______.") is required to be included on your cover letter or curriculum vitae.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
You must submit your application so that it will be received by the closing date of the announcement, 04/03/2020.
Applications must be mailed to the following address:
Nominations and applications for this position must be emailed as a single PDF attachment to Ms. Leanne Heagle, AFIT Human Resources Liaison Office at email: AFITMSC.WORKFLOW@afit.edu
Questions on the position to the above at email: Leanne.Heagle@afit.edu
Faxed, mailed or incomplete applications WILL NOT be accepted or considered -- NO EXCEPTIONS.
Applications mailed by government employees using "official" government postage or through an internal federal government mail system WILL NOT be accepted or considered.
A complete application package will include a letter of application (cover letter), curriculum vitae, statement of citizenship, legible copies of ALL OFFICIAL transcripts. A Doctoral/Master's/Bachelor's degree is required, but ALL OFFICIAL transcripts must be provided for ALL degrees being pursued or obtained as stated in your curriculum vitae, and a list of three professional references (to include names, complete mailing addresses, and telephone numbers) are required. Three letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with your professional work is highly desired.
An incomplete package will result in non-consideration of your application.
IMPORTANT: A statement indicating your country of citizenship (i.e. "I am a citizen of _______.") is required to be included on your cover letter or curriculum vitae.
Your curriculum vitae must include detailed information in the following areas, as appropriate:
1. Teaching Accomplishments: Include teaching experience and teaching awards.
2. Professional Accomplishments: Include research, consultations, publications, and awards.
3. Service Accomplishments: Include membership, leadership roles, nature of service and contribution in collegial and/or professional organizations, societies, etc.
If you are claiming veterans' preference, please provide basic eligibility information in your cover letter. Also include in your application a copy of your DD-214 (Member Copy 4) and, if disabled, a completed SF-15 (Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference), along with a letter for federal employment from the Department of Veterans Affairs indicating your service-connected disability rating.
IF APPLICABLE: An active duty military member's statement of service/certification letter will be accepted in lieu of a DD-214. The statement/certification letter can be obtained from your servicing military personnel office and must be signed by, or by direction of, the adjutant, personnel officer, or commander of your unit or higher headquarters and must indicate your rank, dates of active duty service, and type of discharge/character of service (i.e. honorable). Your preference and/or appointment eligibility will be verified prior to appointment. Military members may be appointed before the effective date of their military separation, if member is on terminal leave, and if applicable, with the appropriate 180-day approved waiver.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED BY 04/03/2020.
Agency contact information
Total Force Service Center
AddressWright Patterson AFB
2000 Allbrook Drive
Wright Patterson AFB, OH 45433
Upon candidate selection, all applicants will be notified of their selection/non-selection status.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/556629900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.